Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby refusing supplement.

Default Baby refusing supplement.

Nevermind.....
    Last edited by @llli*mommy2oliviapaige; April 22nd, 2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: I can't be helped.
    I'm Heather, wife to Ben, mother to our miracle baby Olivia Paige and 7 angel babies.

Olivia Paige- 12-19-09 via emergency c section 9lbs 6oz 21in long.

We made it 7 months with lots of struggles. Wish it was longer, but still proud of myself.

I wearing my baby, cloth diapering and making her baby food.

Default Re: Baby refusing supplement.

Do you have a pump, why do you have to supplement?? If all she wants to do is bf I think that is ok?? How do you know your supply is low? Sounds like your supply is fine if she is having enough wet dipes, having baby to the breast often is the best way to up supply.......
    Last edited by @llli*rubestersmommy; April 21st, 2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: add more
    Amy~
    first time mommy, 2-15-09 to my lil bambina from then til ?, done with pumping!!

why do you think your supply is almost nothing? output is the best indicator so if she's have enough wet and poop diapers I wouldn't worry. Constant nursing at her age is normal
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Because she only has decent diapers when she gets supplement. Plus its been proven by the doctor that it is low. No weight gain and when she is weighed then nurses and weighs again she can only get half an ounce at every nursing session. I do have a pump, but for me it appears to be useless as pumping, including power pumping, does nothing. If you read my other post you would understand. I let her nurse all she wants, but since I don't make enough its not enough for her. I made plenty in the first month or two and it suddenly dropped off which is why she started having a supplement through SNS. My supply is not the issue at the moment, although it is an issue in itself, the issue is her refusing a supplement.

She is at the breast every chance she gets, we even co sleep so she can nurse whenever, but for some people frequent nursing is not enough. I pump several times, power pump (ten on ten off for an hour), eat oatmeal, take fenugreek and blessed thistle, wear my baby and all that other jazz and nothing is helping, so right now I have to focus on helping my daughter get nurisment no matter where it comes from.

Honestly the only reason I am still nursing is because of the tiny little bit she gets because its better than nothing, but its not enough for her to survive on.

Sorry if I sound mad, I am not, I just get frustrated having to repeat how I know every single time I come on here, I just wish people could just take my word for it because repeating it makes me feel like I am the flat chested girl in the locker room and all the other girls are pointing it out. I know that's not what anyone's doing, but it makes me feel down for several days because I never get any help, all I get is the same thing over and over again and its like no one reads that I have already done all of that and nothing is helping. Blah, honestly its not worth it anymore. I give up on trying to get help. Forget it.
    I'm Heather, wife to Ben, mother to our miracle baby Olivia Paige and 7 angel babies.

We made it 7 months with lots of struggles. Wish it was longer, but still proud of myself.

Wow.... Sorry to offend you. All I wanted to do is help it's not as if I wasn't taking your word for it just wanted to know a little back history, as I do not read every post on here. I am sorry you are having problems, maybe you should go see a lactation consultant. Also I just wanted to say this site has helped countless women with bf problems............
    Last edited by @llli*rubestersmommy; April 22nd, 2010 at 05:45 PM. Reason: because i had to
    Amy~
    first time mommy, 2-15-09 to my lil bambina from then til ?, done with pumping!!

I'm sorry you feel that way and I hope you don't give up. I think the reason we ask is that in my personal experience the majority of mothers who are supplementing and feel they have a supply problem actually do not and we help them with the resources we know of, help them also have faith in their own body. If this isn't the case with you then fine, but it's the thing we rule out first in my experience.

I'm sorry you have to repeat yourself, I try to remember people's story but I can't remember the specifics for everyone. We have all struggled believe me, I have permanent scars on my nipples to prove it!

And I did read your post, but I am only responding to this thread and in your OP you specifically mention that you don't know if your supply is going up...this prompted me to reply about supply. I'm sorry if you are not getting the answer you want but if the question is how to get LO to take formula, I don't have experience with refusing formula (although my son did supplement for a few days at first)

I wish you the best in your surgery, I hope you continue to nurse/combo feed and again I'm very sorry you felt like you weren't being heard I did try to help.

Is there anything else I can do to help?
    Last edited by @llli*Jenna562; April 22nd, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I know you can't remember every single person, but even after I tell the backstory it never goes any further than an "Oh I am sorry." and I am still stuck crying my eyes out. I have seen several LCs and none were helpful. One told me because I have PCOS I can't be helped and I didn't see her again, another just shoved my breast in my daughter's mouth and said 'Well she latches just fine so you shouldn't have a problem." Others just tell me to do what I've been doing since day one and that's all they can say. Seems like all the people that are supposed to know around here don't.

I know its not your fault it just drives me insane that no one can help and I am not worried that she will not eat anything but, and I just can't make enough. I am honestly to the point where I regret ever starting because its done nothing but cause me heartache and her lots of frustration. I didn't want to hate breastfeeding, but honestly I am starting to loathe it. I loved it in the start and even when the problems first started because I could still give her mostly breastmilk, but it seems like I was never meant to. In all honesty if it all dries up after my surgery that may be for the best because I am making myself sick over something that wasn't meant to be and I hate myself for it.

I am seriously thinking of leaving this site because all it does is remind me that I cannot do it and others can.

Thanks for trying to help anyways.

Sorry I didn't see your earlier post. I don't come to the increasing milk forum much anymore, since I've given up trying to increase my milk. Don't give up on the boards; it's still an encouraging place for the earthy/crunchy aspects of parenting. Really, breastfeeding is a short part of your child's life, whatever you've done is better than having not tried at all. If you've stopped using the SNS, please disregard this post.

My kiddo is 10 months now, and I use an SNS (I think I'm one of the few long term SNS users on the board). He has times when he refuses it also. Which kind are you using? I use the temporary medela one, and just clean it all the time. I noticed that the tube can lose efficiency with use. Have you tried rolling the tube between your fingers and then running it between your fingernails from top to bottom to squeeze out residue? I find that the formula leaves a yellow residue, even with washing and cleaning. It's like the sediment falls out and stays behind in the tube.

Have you also looked into reflux? I know mine would only take about 2oz in the SNS a day, but it increased with reflux meds, and he finally would put on weight.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

I don't know if you are going to come back and see this, but I read some of your old posts and was wondering, are you still taking Reglan? Reglan can promote moderate to severe depression in many women, and not that it answers your questions about supply problems, but it might be a good idea to go off of it. When I had supply problems I took Domperidone since I do have a history of depression, and it helped immensely as far as my supply issues were concerned.

As far as your original question, what formula are you trying right now? What bottles/nipples are you using? Maybe she is having a hard time with the nipples or something in that particular formula is bothering her. You could experiment with other ones until you find one to at least get you through the surgery, and then maybe if you are feeling better (if going off reglan helps) you can address some of the supply issues you are currently having. All of these people are here to help you.

Good luck.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I suggested domperidone to OP in the past and she doesn't feel comfortable trying it.

I'm sorry you are still struggling. If your supply is still low perhaps the PCOS is a contributor. Or perhaps your baby is refusing supplement right now because your supply is up.

I don't have the post to read exactly what is happening now, but I
    think hands on help is a good thing. If you had an LC in the past that you
    didn't think helped, perhaps another one would work better.