Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Crohns Disease and Breastfeeding

Unhappy Crohns Disease and Breastfeeding

I've been struggling with advanced Crohns Disease for about 2 years, and the only drug that has controlled my flare-ups is Prednisone. I was prescribed 10 mg pills to take every day. I had to go off it while pregnant, and, having just had my son, am experiencing a strong and painful flare. I've received conflicting info about the effects of Prednisone and BF, and my lactation consultant/LLL leader really wants me to avoid it if possible, but told me since it's not her area of expertise, she can't really suggest an alternative. But I can't function without it (I was close to a colon removal when diagnosed a year ago) and I desperately want to BF my son at least 24 months. I've cut my pills in half so I'm starting 5 mg a day, and trying to wait at least 4 hours before BF. Any advice would be helpful. I'd like to stay on the 10mg a day if possible while BF but I don't want to harm my child.

Default Re: Crohns Disease and Breastfeeding

Have you looked at Dr. Hale's book Medications and Mothers Milk?

also some info here (scroll down)
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/....html#Steroids

it's listed as an L2 catagory
    SAFER:
    Drug which has been studied in a limited number of breastfeeding women without an increase in adverse effects in the infant; And/or, the evidence of a demonstrated risk which is likely to follow use of this medication in a breastfeeding woman is remote.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

what does your OB and baby's pedi say?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

L2 is pretty safe. I have read about mamas taking prednisone while BF. My
    cousin nursed two children while dealing with crohns between surgeries.

My OB is my RNM (also my lactation consultant) and she wants me only to take it in 5 day spurts. I have yet to ask my son's pedi, but I've just heard horror stories about Prednisone stunting a baby's growth, etc.