Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 month old sleep regression?

Default 4 month old sleep regression?

Hi ladies! I was wondering if anyone has gone through this sleep regression at 4 months old. My DS is going on 4 1/2 months and he is EBF since birth and we co-sleep. He was sleeping so great, from 8 -3, then I would feed him, and them he'd wake at around 6:30. Now all of a sudden the last couple of nights, he's been waking literally every two hours, sometimes every hour to eat! Last night, he went down at 8, was up at 10, 1, 2:30, 4, 5:15. I fed him each time and he ate, but it was hard to get him back to sleep. It seems once he was asleep, BAM..he was awake again. He's never woken this many times since he was born. And, yesterday he took one hour long nap in the morning, then just slept maybe 15 minutes here and there..all day long! I've heard of a sleep regression at 4 months, but not sure if this is it?? I still have not started any solids and I wasn't going to start until 6 months, but was wondering if I should give him some rice cereal..I really do not want to give him any solids yet..maybe he's ready for them though? I am so confused!

Any advice would be soooooooo greatly appreciated!
    Married my soul mate in 1999 Gave birth to our miracle baby 12/21/09

I and we and I at work!

Birth - 8lbs 1 oz - 20 1/2 inches
    16 weeks - 16lbs 13 oz and 25 3/4 inches
    24 weeks - 19lbs and 27 1/4 inches
    9 months - 23lbs and 30 inches

Default Re: 4 month old sleep regression?

It's hard when that newborn easy sleeping routine wears off! Your baby is much more aware now. Rice cereal isn't going to solve your problems... think about when you eat rice - does it make you feel full? I really don't know where that myth came from. My baby eats actual food and she still wakes up every 1 to 3 hours to nurse at night.

You're cosleeping - are you nursing laying down? That will help you rest more. I saw a link somewhere on the 4 month sleep regression, I'll see if I can dig it up.

ETA: http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

This happened to my DD2 at four months when I went back to work. Anything changed in your daytime routine?

This IS normal for their patterns and habits to change frequently the first year. Just when you think you know what to expect, they throw you a curve ball. Just try to go with the flow and let your baby guide you. It will make everything easier.

ETA: RICE WILL NOT SOLVE YOUR SLEEP PROBLEMS. Babies digestive systems are not mature enough to handle rice or other solids before 6 months. You also run this risk of messing with your supply. Please read this: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ids-sleep.html
    Last edited by @llli*courtnidge; April 21st, 2010 at 10:35 AM.
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

I agree with pps. I think the problem arethe grown ups, we expect a baby to sleep.

IME, none of my kids STTN before 2 yo, my DD2 is now 15 mo and I'm literally not sleeping, she wakes up every 2 hours or so at the beg. of the night and then every 15 min or so. We co-sleep and I nurse laying down but I dont' expect anything different, I know some babies STTN earlier but there are some that walk at 10 months, so each baby is different. Sleeping is a milestone too, just like walking, we can't rush them to walk earlier right?

I know it's hard, I say it by experience, I work full time, go to the gym and care for my 2 girls, it's quite a job but if you expect to STTN at 4 mo, you are going to be frustrated.

Hang in there, he will STTN eventually and at 15yo you'll want to wake him up when he stays in bed till noon

When my LO was 8 weeks she started sleeping 6-7 hours straight, woke up to eat once and then went right back to sleep for another 4 hours. I thought I had it so great and was doing everything right. Then she turned 3.5mo and it all flew out the window! She started wanting to eat every few hours at night or would just wake herself up trying to roll over. She is now 6 mo and has never slept more than 4 hours in a row at night (and that is rare!). Nothing changed in our schedule, I am a SAHM, she just started becoming more aware of everything and wasn't content to nurse as much during the day.
    I think it is totally normal for them to stop sleeping as much and start eating more at night when they are about that age. There is so much for them to learn during the day that something as boring as eating and sleeping has to wait until it's dark and there is nothing else to do.
    Oh, and we never did rice cereal. It doesn't usually help, and if it does I think it is just a coincidence.
    Last edited by @llli*mommyofadela; April 21st, 2010 at 11:24 AM.

I totally forgot about the trying to roll over in their sleep!! Yes. That is a hard time!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Going through the same thing with my DD who is 4 months. I feel your sleep deprivation, mama!

Yep, we are there with my almost 5mo. I joke that I got more sleep when he was a newborn, but it's pretty much true! Teething is making it all even worse...he hasn't figured out how to roll back to front yet but we're almost there...
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:
    Z, my land-lubber born 11/09
    Nursed for 22 months, 18 of those with a tongue and lip tie
    Allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

E, my water baby born 05/12
    Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

We , , and !

Co-sleeping has saved us from all the night wakings. And I will tell you that when my 2.5 year old DD was 4.5 months old and waking frequently, I tried giving her rice cereal before bed, thinking it would help her sleep longer... NOPE! Didn't help.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I feel for you--definitely BTDT! My son slept through the night from 8 weeks until 4 months, and then all #$%# broke loose. That was when I felt like we were getting "newborn" sleep, except that the "real" newborn period was downright restful compared to what was happening then. It stayed pretty unpredictable for a while (weeks, definitely, and maybe a couple of months?), but eventually we settled into a routine again--it was different from what we had before, but involved more sleep than that four-to-five-or-six-month period, so we weren't complaining. Hang in there!