Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting a little early?

Default Starting a little early?

I have been planning on waiting *at least* until 6 months to start any solids of any kind. But baby is starting to show some signs of readiness and I'm wondering if he might really be ready to start experimenting before 6 months. He is currently 4mo 3wks (so almost 5 months). He is sitting much better although not without help quite yet. He supports his own torso weight, just needs a little help with balance. He can grasp things but not yet with a pincer grasp. He brings things to his mouth and chews on them, and he watches with interest, sometimes even smacking his lips, when we eat. In the last couple of days he has started reaching for things I'm eating and drinking.

I don't think it's quite time just yet. But I'm wondering if he could truly be ready to start a couple bites of veggie puree in 2-4 weeks. He wouldn't be quite 6 months yet but would be only 1-3 weeks away from it. He just seems so interested already...it would be very low pressure, give it a try and if he's not into it put it away for a few days or a couple weeks or whatever.
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:
    Z, my land-lubber born 11/09
    Nursed for 22 months, 18 of those with a tongue and lip tie
    Allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

E, my water baby born 05/12
    Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

We , , and !

Default Re: Starting a little early?

When my baby was that age I gave him an empty bowl and a spoon to play with while the rest of us were eating. He was quite happy with his bowl and spoon.

Personally I'd wait until baby is showing ALL signs of being ready for solids.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

You could have some finger foods ready on your plate, like a little toast or cooked (and cooled) carrot sticks, and when he grasps for something your eating let him have that and see what he does with it?
    'We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!' - George Bernard Shaw

Me 35, OH 39. 2 daughters 17 and 14, 3rd daughter due 17th June 2010!

My life is an open book, unless you judge me by my cover!

My lovely girls xx

with pp

also if your LO actually grabbed food of your plate he probably wouldn't actually eat it... my LO would grab food off my plate all the time ( and still does) and just play with it...when she reached 6 months we gave her own plate of food and same thing she just played with it, if she did happen to get anything in her mouth she just spit it out .. i don't think she actually swallowed anything till 7 1/2 maybe 8 months
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

I don't think you necessarily have to wait for exactly 6 months, but I think it's important to wait until baby is showing all the signs of readiness.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    When my baby was that age I gave him an empty bowl and a spoon to play with while the rest of us were eating. He was quite happy with his bowl and spoon.

Personally I'd wait until baby is showing ALL signs of being ready for solids.
    Good call. I think at the rate he's going he might be showing all the signs a bit before 6 months, but for now I think I'll get him a little bowl and a soft spoon to play with! He did enjoy gumming on a plastic spoon the other day, although I was watching closely since the edges were kind of hard and I didn't want him to hurt his gums on it.
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:
    Z, my land-lubber born 11/09
    Nursed for 22 months, 18 of those with a tongue and lip tie
    Allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

E, my water baby born 05/12
    Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

We , , and !