Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 meals?

Default 3 meals?

My son is almost 11 months and we are still just doing breakfast and dinner which are the two sit down family meals in our house. He is 20lbs and eating those 2 meals well. Should I be adding lunch for him as well? He was 9lbs 13 oz at birth and the doctor seems to think he has really slacked off with weight gain. I'm just afraid to add more solids because I don't want them to replace nursing. I still nurse before meals. Should I be giving him the opportunity to eat more solids? I looked at the Kellymom site about the percentages of solids babies should get but since I don't know how much milk he gets that doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. I do BLS and let him eat until he stops.
    Last edited by @llli*sarahak; April 20th, 2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: forgot something

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang

Default Re: 3 meals?

Is your LO healthy, happy, and meeting his milestones? If the answer is "yes", then I wouldn't worry for a moment about the "slacked off" weight gain. The answer to the question "Is this baby healthy?" is a lot more than just what percentile he's in on the chart- which, BTW, your child is still nicely on! It's entirely normal for a baby's weight gain to slow down after 6 months- once they're mobile, most breastfed babies slim way down because they're expending calories on motion instead of packing them on as fat.

All that being said, I probably would add in a third opportunity to experiment with solids. As long as you nurse first, the additional solids shouldn't replace breastmilk too significantly. Are you spoon-feeding, or is your baby self-feeding? If you're spoon-feeding, how about making that third daily try at solids a self-feeding experiment?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

also our ped said my 11 mos doesn't gain enough but he's happy and healthy and I decided officially to stop worrying.
    what I do is nursing on demand and also offer the breast before mealtimes.I offer him solids 3 times a day but he self feeds at lunch and dinner.I just spoonfeed him some pureed fruit in the afternoon,he gets just BM for breakfast.this is starting to work quite well for us
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

Besides, even if you give a 3rd meal, it doesn't mean your son will chunk up. My guy gets 3 meals a day when my parents watch him, and he's still 5th percentile. Maybe give him lunchtime to experiment with a spoon.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

Thanks ladies! I'm going to add lunch today. He self feeds completely. When I try to use s poon to give him something he takes it away from me anyway so I just give him peices of food to eat himself. He still nurses a lot and we co sleep and he nurses. He is on a Cheerios kick so he usually has that and some banana peices for breakfast and then for dinner whatever fruit and veggie we are having and a half a slice of bread. He seems to get most of it in his mouth too. I need to not worry. He seems very happy and healthy to me. He is always moving too so I guess he is just burning off all the calories.

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang