Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I tried everything need advice

Lightbulb I tried everything need advice

Maybe I am just looking for someone to tell me it is ok, but I need help.

My husband and I are both vegetarians and wanted just to breastfeed our baby, but I am running really low on milk supply and can not keep up with my baby's demand.

She is growing really fast. She is 6 weeks old and already weights 12 pounds. She also had reflux, but that didn't stop her from eating or gaining weight.

Today i am running very low on supply.. I pump after each feeding and in between to keep up with her, but I still can't. I am exausted, and pretty soon I have to go back to work. I though I was going to be able to store enough milk so when I am at work my husband will have plenty to give her, but that is not going to happen. I feel really guilty given her formula - please any advice will help.

Default Re: I tried everything need advice

Why do you think you have a low supply? The fact that she's gaining so well would suggest otherwise? How's the diaper out put? The pump is no indication of how much you produce. I would pay more attention to diaper out put and weight gain. It sounds like you ARE producing enough for her. If your looking to produce a lot of milk to store, try pumping in the morning BEFORE feeding. That is when we generally produce the most. You should be able to pump off both sides and generally the baby will still be able to get what she needs for breakfast. If not, you can feed her what you've pumped from one side and freeze the other side. If you do this every morning and just in the morning you should have a freezer supply in no time! HTH! Sounds like your doing much better than your giving yourself credit for

Thanks for getting back to me.. is that she cries everytime she finihes feeding. We have to then add another oz until she is satisfied and i run out of milk. I even used what i had in the freezer.

Have you tried Fenugreek or Mother's Milk? Also I know a bunch of people who SWEAR oatmeal helps a bunch. And when the baby starts to cry...have you tried moving her back to the other breast? I know when I'm pumping after I get thru a let down and the flow dramatically decreases, I move to the other breast and sfter I work thru that side I can flip back over and get a 2nd let down on the 1st side. I don't have the patience to just stay on one side and WAIT for the 2nd let down but have you tried this w/ the baby? Don't assume your empty . It may take patience...it sounds like you've already introduced your LO to a bottle. It this the case? This may be part of the problem. When baby's are new born and they get introduced to a bottle before they have a established a good nursing relationship w/ thier mother, they will often prefer the bottle because it's so much easier to drink from. She may just be getting frustrated not because there's NO milk but because the flow has slowed. When she cries, squeeze the nipple she is working, if you see milk, try rubbing some on her lips and toungue. If not, squeeze your OTHER nipple. You may find that the other side will let down and then you can take care of her by flipping between breasts more than once during a feed. HTH!

Thanks. I breastfeed religiously for the first 3-4 weeks then I noticed she was arching and being fussy all the time - I figured it was reflux. I took her to the doc and she prescrived zantac, but I didn't want to give her medice yet so I tried Gripe Water which I had to mix with the milk so she will drink it - so I introduced her to the bottle for that reason only. I still put her on the breast, but it does take a lot of patience. I will continue to do so, but soon I have to return to work and she will go back to the bottle again. The good news is that I still have not use the formula.

No formula IS GOOD NEWS! DO try the AM puming session BEFORE she wakes to eat. If you can get two bottles a day between now and when you go back and your able to pump while away from her at least two or three times....you may be able to keep up! Don't give up yet!!!

Just chiming in to second DJ's Mom - oatmeal and pumping in the AM. And no formula!! You're half way there, stick to your guns. See if you can spend some down time with the lo, jump in the bed and stay there for a day or two, just snuggling and nursing and associating nursing with lots of positive good vibes. She's getting it!! They're smart little creatures, you're doing awesome!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Hi there,
    I can understand that you are concerned about your supply, especially since you are heading back to work soon.

Will you be able to pump while you are at work? If so, I would not worry about stock-piling too much milk up in advance. You will be able to use the milk from the previous day!

The other moms above have given you some good suggestions as far as your concern with supply. I hope you have found some things here that you can try. Let us know!

There were many times when I thought I wasn't producing enough, and was pumping just enough to get through the next day. I have been pumping for over a year and only within the last month have I had any milk to freeze at all. I was really living on the edge! But, I hope that helps you know that you are actually doing really well, even if it doesn't feel like it.
    There is a really great page on kellymom about milk supply issues-I love it and I post it for everyone who has similar questions. One thing that is fascinating is that the fact that your baby is willing to take some milk out of a bottle after being done with the breast is not a sign of low production.
    Anyway, I really hope this helps and you keep coming back to the forums for support when you need it. You can do it, mama!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

hi, just joined the forum. i m from malaysia n been bf for 10 months. just wanna share my supply experience. being a working mother, need to give my bb ebm while i m at work. i started my ebm stock quite late ended up having enough stock for the next day. pump 3 times at work n 2 times at home. manage to get 24 - 30oz per day. but now i pump 6 times a day so that i could have at least 5 oz extra for frozen stock. manage to hv 40 bottles of 5 oz ebm stock within a mth. direct feeding is a must when i m at home, n over the weekend. my diet would be a lot of leafy vegy (spinach),fish,oat, feenugerik, milk maid tea, omega 3 supplement, a lot of plain water. i m a truly believer of constant pumping session n frequent direct bf n good diet, glad my supply is good!!!

breast feed and feel great