Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Which pump?

Default Which pump?

SIL gave me a Medela Pump in Style that has been through a few people and yesterday when I went to hook up my new tubing to it the part that connects the tubing to the actual pump snapped (the plastic was just too old). So now I have no breast pump as it isn't a part that can be replaced.

Anyways I don't plan on having to pump that often (if at all) as I will be home full time. But I would still like to have a pump for a night out or emergency. The Pump in Style is like $280 and although I have read that it is one of the best I don't think it will be worth it considering I won't be using it alot. Anyways what kind of breast pump would you recommend? Do you think a manual pump would be okay? They are the most economical option. Should I just wait until after he comes and decide then if I even need a pump or have one on hand just incase?

Here are some of the options I am looking at-

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Playtex-Em...-Free/11091118

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lansinoh-L...ystem/10924275

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lansinoh-M...t-Pump/7755682

http://www.target.com/Medela-Harmony...reastpump&qid=

This is my first baby by the way so I am not really sure what to expect with breast-feeding.
    Mama to one precious little boy- May 2010

Default Re: Which pump?

I do not own a PIS but I have used one, so I can compare what I have experienced. My favorite hand pump is Definitely the Avent ISIS. I am EBF my 4 month old and only pump for nights out, so it works great for that! Also nice n portable. I think they're like $40 @ Wally's. I have tried other manual handpumps and....Don't waste your time with anything else....TJMO.

Mom to a Munchkin 03/14/00
    A Booger Head 05/02/06
    A Pie Lynne 07/31/08
    And Bugley was born 12/21/09 at 10lb 4oz!
    for 9 months and counting!
    My dad always told me anything worth having is worth working for.

I have and like the Medela Harmony as my "at home" pump for occasional use (I have a double electric that I leave at work).

ETA: I'd have a pump on hand for when he gets home. I had latch problems and serious nipple pain, and needed to pump, even though I didn't expect to.

In my experience, I can empty one breast in about 10 minutes with the Harmony, which is comparable to electric. It will be double the time, but it's definitely an economical solution for occasional use.
    Last edited by @llli*manatee; April 20th, 2010 at 11:00 AM.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

I own the Playtex Embrace. It is awesome! I just rented the medela Lactina and can say it is VERY comparable for an at home pump vs hospital grade. So far I get about the same amount out, but it's only been a couple days. It's portable and quiet and the bag is discreet looking, if that is an issue for you. I've used mine a HUGE amount due to DS not emptying my breasts. I pump at least 7 x a day. Almost after every feeding. It is still working at 6 mos but does have a few issues like the o rings slipping, but DH changed them and it's good as new, and I did buy mine used and got all new equipment.

HTH!
    Married to my soul mate "Dr. Al" 8-22-09
    DD Noah Rae 8-10-98 and for 16 months! who is now a pre-teen girl and I want to
    DS Kael Mathew-Ryan 10-27-09 8 months and counting!
    Loving and happily at work and after each feeding

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manatee View Post
    I have and like the Medela Harmony as my "at home" pump for occasional use (I have a double electric that I leave at work).

ETA: I'd have a pump on hand for when he gets home. I had latch problems and serious nipple pain, and needed to pump, even though I didn't expect to.

In my experience, I can empty one breast in about 10 minutes with the Harmony, which is comparable to electric. It will be double the time, but it's definitely an economical solution for occasional use.
    WSS.