Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 months

Default 8 months

LO is eight months now. She has have been only having solids once, maybe twice a day. Otherwise, she nurses. We have been going slow because she was so constipated but she is regular now. She also starts to nurse less when she eats alot of solids.

My question is this: the pedi said to get her up to three meals a day by nine months. We go back to see the pedi in about one month...... 3 meals a day seems like alot. How much should I be giving her?

Default Re: 8 months

Am I feeding her enough?

If you're still breastfeeding on demand, then your baby is getting all the necessary nutrients and calories from your milk . Technically, she doesn't *need* food until she's one, so there's no rush to get her on a strict three-meals-a-day schedule by 9 months. Lots of good info here.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sobamom View Post
    If you're still breastfeeding on demand, then your baby is getting all the necessary nutrients and calories from your milk . Technically, she doesn't *need* food until she's one, so there's no rush to get her on a strict three-meals-a-day schedule by 9 months. Lots of good info here.

Until age 1, solids are just for fun. (This according to my pediatrician.)

Lots of pediatricians push the 3 meals a day thing because they assume that you're going to be weaning on or around the 1st birthday, and they want the baby to be able to transition to an all-solids diet at that point. Also, not all of them are well-educated when it comes to breastfeeding, and many assume (like large segments of the general public), that at a certain point breastmilk "isn't enough" to fill a baby's nutritional needs.

As long as the baby seems happy and healthy, is meeting milestones, and is growing, there's no need to push solids, and every reason to follow the baby's lead.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

as long as baby is gaining well, and like PP said, meeting milestones, as well as having enough wet diapers, she's getting enough to eat. i myself just had to scale back the amount of solids i was feeding DS because he wasn't nursing enough, and not having enough wets. i feared for my supply. so we went back to just one meal a day and some snacks here and there, and we're doing fine!

we go to the pedi today, though, for the 9 month check-up, so i'll be interested to get her opinion!
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

My DD is also 8 mths old and my concerns seem to be the opposite!! I guess no matter what we mommas always have new worries! My DD LOVES solids! She eats 1-2 jars in the morning and nurses. She nurses again at nap time. Eats 1 jar at lunch and sometimes nurses. She sometimes needs a second nap and will nurse. At dinner time she eats another 2 jars of food and nurses at bed time! I hope this helps! I am concerned she is not nursing enough and no one as of yet has replied to my post!! Oh well.
    I truly think your little one and mine are probably just fine. Solids are really not that important yet so just go with it! That is what I have done so far.
    Good luck!

i think if your LO is having enough wets and growing well, paisleymom, she's probably nursing enough, especially if you haven't noticed a drop in supply. my DS wasn't nursing enough when i was feeding him two meals a day, and my supply suffered, as well as him not having enough wets.

my pedi really seemed concerned that i only give DS one meal a day and some snacks. she said, "at this point i would be very surprised if you make enough milk for him." oh my god -- my son is not quite 9.5 months old and he's 25.5 pounds! he's literally off the charts for weight, and that's mostly breastmilk!!

so i've started making him some healthy finger foods for snacks, but otherwise i'm ignoring the pedi on this one. she also seemed concerned that if i didn't get him enough used to solid food, i wouldn't be able to wean him. well, i'm in no hurry to do that anyway!
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommaefvie View Post
    my pedi really seemed concerned that i only give DS one meal a day and some snacks. she said, "at this point i would be very surprised if you make enough milk for him." oh my god -- my son is not quite 9.5 months old and he's 25.5 pounds! he's literally off the charts for weight, and that's mostly breastmilk!!
    Where was your ped's brain that day?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Really wow why do these pediatricians worry about solids sooo much in the first year? If they are not weaned well simply put that's for us to worry about! Right? I think they are too worried about babies being weaned by age 1. I personally am in no hurry whatsoever! My DD is very interested in ALL food she if offered but still LOVES her nursing! Like I have said before DD1 is 13 yrs old now so I was much younger while nursing her for 14 mths and if I had it to do over I would have nursed her longer! Just keep checking those wet diapers that's what I am doing which is quite easy with cloth btw!
    On another note my DD is a big eater and at 8.5mths is only 15 lbs LOL so really how much of a difference does it make anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*paisleysmom View Post
    My DD is also 8 mths old and my concerns seem to be the opposite!! I guess no matter what we mommas always have new worries! My DD LOVES solids! She eats 1-2 jars in the morning and nurses. She nurses again at nap time. Eats 1 jar at lunch and sometimes nurses. She sometimes needs a second nap and will nurse. At dinner time she eats another 2 jars of food and nurses at bed time! I hope this helps! I am concerned she is not nursing enough and no one as of yet has replied to my post!! Oh well.
    I truly think your little one and mine are probably just fine. Solids are really not that important yet so just go with it! That is what I have done so far.
    Good luck!
    hey there, I found your post and replied (you already had one)

OP: I have a 7MO (as of today) and I give her some finger foods when she sees big sister eating, just because I don't want her to feel left out, but she's not a big eater as of yet so I'm not worried that she's eating "too much." I don't know why doctors push the three meals a day thing either.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09