Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing and feeding solids

Default Nursing and feeding solids

My son is 9 1/2 months old and he eats solid foods three times a day. Realizing that every baby is different, I was wondering if someone could help me out on how often he should be nursing. Currently I nurse him when he wakes up, then he eats breakfast about an hour later. He will nap about 3 hours after waking up. I will nurse him when he wakes, then a little bit later he eats lunch. The same thing, naps again, wakes, nurse him and then dinner and bed around 7-7:30p and will nurse him before going to sleep. He also wakes once during the night and nurses. I also continue to question whether I am still producing enough milk for him. Any suggestions and/or comments would be helpful. THANK YOU! **lately he nurses maybe for two or three minutes per side and that is it!**

Default Re: Nursing and feeding solids

From my understanding, you are not supposed to replace any nursing sessions with food, and you are supposed to feed solids after they nurse (up to an hour??) Breastmilk should be their main source of calories for the first year and solids are just an extra.. Here is a link,
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html
    Amy~
    first time mommy, 2-15-09 to my lil bambina from then til ?, done with pumping!!

Default Re: Nursing and feeding solids

At under a year, a baby's primary source of nutrition should be breastmilk. How many nursing sessions it takes to get to that point is pretty different for every mom- but for my kid it seemed to take at least 8-12 nursing sessions per day. This was probably because she was not eating more than a teaspoon or two of solid food per day until 14-15 months.

If I added things up correctly, you're nursing around 5 times a day, correct? That's a good number, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to offer the breast more frequently and nurse immediately before offering solids so that the baby fills up on milk instead of solids. It's not that solids are unhealthy- just that breastmilk is more healthy, YK? Also, the more you nurse, the more you will produce, since supply = demand. I wouldn't be overly concerned about your supply, though- you're obviously producing some milk, and some is always better than none! As long as your baby will nurse, let him nurse.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"