Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: a slight distaste for one side?

Default a slight distaste for one side?

Hello to all - I am new here, and while I tried to sift through the various older posts, I couldn't find anything similar to my question (although I admit that I only sifted through about 10 pages of the 100 available). So if this is a repost, I apologize, and rather than answering you could just give me a basic lesson on how to "search" through the older topics (I couldn't seem to figure that out either - Ugh).

Anyhow - my son (3.5 months) has been breastfed since birth, other than a few bottles here and there of EBM that my husband has fed. Recently (within the last three weeks) he seems to be developing a fondness for my right side. If I start with the left side, he will eat contentedly from both without a problem. But if I start with the right, he will pull off from the left, arch his back, whine, etc. when we start on the second side. Doesn't seem to be a supply problem as I hear him swallow and sometimes see milk in his mouth when he pulls off.

This isn't causing problems at this point, as I just start on that side during the next feeding, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

Default Re: a slight distaste for one side?

my daughter is right around the same age as yours she tends to like the right side better when i asked the dr about this she said that it just might be that she is more comfortable on that side and to continue to offer the other and that is shouldn't be a problem. So i would say to keep offering both and not to give up. Hope this helps a little.

This is completely normal. Most moms have a faster let-down and/or a more abundant milk supply on one side than the other, so if your baby seems to prefer one side, it may be because of these differences. Personally, my daughter prefers my left side because it has a slower flow and less forceful let-down. The right side seems to be a big overproducer and has a lot more forceful let-down that is just too much for her sometimes ... this was especially true in the earlier days.

If it's not causing too much of a problem, don't worry about it.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

But if it's a postion issue, you can mimic the postion of favored side by putting Baby in the "football hold" on the other side.

Around that age DS developped a fondness for the right breast for eating and the left one for snoozing/comfort nursing. He will still occasionally show that prefference now. I never really thought anything of it. Just another of those quirky baby things.