Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Big Eater

Default Big Eater

My sweet little girl is 7 months now and is really eating ALOT! I was keeping her on about 12 oz a day of purees and some cereal mixed in. My mom said 'let her tell you when she is done" so I have been feeding her until she stops eating and I have been feeding her 20 oz plus!!! I thought maybe I could start feeding her finger foods, but when I try she doesn't seem to get much into her mouth. I wonder if any other mothers have babies who eat like this? Yesterday she ate half a banana half a mango and a 1 full cup of apple sauce! she seems to be digesting and pooping just fine!

Default Re: Big Eater

My LO is 7 months as well and eats EVERYTHING!!!! as long as its NOT pureed. I usually feed him whatever I'm eating, as long as its soft/mushy enough for him to eat. (no teeth yet). He also likes to BF before AND after, althought the after is very short and I think mainly for comfort; which I don't mind at all . I stopped looking at the amount and just learned to go with the flow, as long as he is not fussy/unconfortable. He poops almost every day and has great wet diapers.
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

Are you nursing before offering solid food? That sounds like a lot of solids for such a young baby. Solids are really for experimenting with tastes and textures in the first year. Not so much for nutrition as the majority of calories should be coming from BM.
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jessruff View Post
    Are you nursing before offering solid food? That sounds like a lot of solids for such a young baby. Solids are really for experimenting with tastes and textures in the first year. Not so much for nutrition as the majority of calories should be coming from BM.
    I would definitely nurse first, and probably start offering a lot more finger foods, if only because it sounds like she will eat less of them, leaving more space for breastmilk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I tried to go slow with the solids but she never seemed satisfied. I always BF directly before I feed. She knows when it is time for a meal and she really lets me know she wants real food. (this morning I put her in her highchair and she screamed at the top of her lungs until I gave her the banana, I only had to peel it!) I always eat at the same time as her because if she sees me eat without her it is over!!! When I first started I only did two meals a day and it was in small amounts, and she always acted as if she wanted more, so now I feed her until she chooses to be done. It sometimes seems like she eats BIG meals! I also tried giving her whole grains like rice or oatmeal to satisfy her hunger BUT those seem to make her poop pretty solid so I only give her small amounts so it doesn't overdo it.
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep