Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Over weight baby???

Question Over weight baby???

My daughter weighed 12 pounds 4 oz and was 23 1/2 inches at 2 months she is now going to be 4 months and is exclusively BF my mom in law keeps saying she don't think that she is getting enough to eat,, But she sleeps all night and has since she was a lil over 2 months i think so i thought that was a good sign. She don't act like she is hungry or nothing am i just being paranoid over a overly concerned grandma. I was reading the other forums and it seems like all the other babies are real little is mine over weight. I know she has to be heavier now should i be concerned about her weight?

Default Re: Over weight baby???

I don't know what your child's new weight is, but my feeling is that it is still normal. If you ped has not mentioned anything about it, don't worry. My children have always run on the small side, genetics. And find a nice way to tell your MIL to butt out. From what you describe, you are doing a fine job providing nourishment and love for your child. Generally, for people like your MIL, I would never bring up feeding issues in front of her so you don't get her two cents worth. Or if she brings it up, try to change the subject, and or excuse yourself from the room.

I don't think you need to worry at all. My baby started out little and then became so chunky that I had the same worries. He was in the 95 percentile (?) in all the growth categories. Then it slowed done and he grew out of it by the time he became 6 months old. As your bebe is breastfed exclusively, there is no such thing as being overweight or overfed.

Quote Originally Posted by blinkinmapple View Post
    My daughter weighed 12 pounds 4 oz and was 23 1/2 inches at 2 months she is now going to be 4 months and is exclusively BF my mom in law keeps saying she don't think that she is getting enough to eat,, But she sleeps all night and has since she was a lil over 2 months i think so i thought that was a good sign. She don't act like she is hungry or nothing am i just being paranoid over a overly concerned grandma. I was reading the other forums and it seems like all the other babies are real little is mine over weight. I know she has to be heavier now should i be concerned about her weight?
    How big was she when she was born? Breastfed babies usually gain a lot of weight at first and then will steady out by a year old. I swore I was going to have a 52 lbs 1 year old once Madeline started gaining weight (around 3 1/2 months of age,like a pound or more a week!!!) She got to 18 1/2 lbs at 7 months of age and has stayed there (she's almost a year old this month, she was born at 5lbs 8.2 oz premature). Sounds like Mommy's Milk is doing great for your DD. Keep up the good work!!! BTW, I don't know what it is with grandparents, but they always think baby is hungry and want to feed them till they pop (or in my case that's what it seemed). I think it is due to they cannot see how much your LO is actually getting so they assume that it's not enough....as long as the wet diapers are at the appropiate amount and she is gaining, I wouldn't worry about it! Congrats on your DD!

she was 7 pounds 12 oz when i had her and she was 12 days early when she arrived. I just keep thinking that she is almost 20 pounds right now she is so heavy it seems. i am probely over reacting right there , Hearing that it is prob normal makes me feel better thanks all will let you know how much she weighs on the 9 when we get back from her 4 month check up.

Quote Originally Posted by blinkinmapple View Post
    she was 7 pounds 12 oz when i had her and she was 12 days early when she arrived. I just keep thinking that she is almost 20 pounds right now she is so heavy it seems. i am probely over reacting right there , Hearing that it is prob normal makes me feel better thanks all will let you know how much she weighs on the 9 when we get back from her 4 month check up.
    Give you a idea of Madeline's jump in weight
    Born 5 lbs 8.2 oz 6 weeks early
    1 month 6 lbs 2 oz
    2 months 7 lbs 10oz
    3 months 8 lbs 4 oz
    4 months 12 lbs 0 oz (almost 4 lbs in 1 month)
    and it kept going up till she hit 18lbs 8oz.
    I know I over reacted to the jump in weight, but I was glad to see it. Now I over react due to she hasen't gained, but she is happy, health and doing great.

thanks that helps she seems very healthy to me so i am not going to worry anymore

My son weighed 8lbs 2oz at birth and weighed 17lbs at 4months...all BFed babies are different and they're all perfect! You can over feed them. They self regulate.

my lo was 14 1/2 lbs at 3 mo. we went in for a check up on his first fever and i was so surprised at how much he weighed.
    my mil keeps asking when i am going to start formula feeding and i just end the coversation with never! look at how big he is! i think their motherly instincts just start kicking in again and they just want what's best for the baby.
    i see your 4 mo check up is coming soon, ours is on the 18th. let us know how it goes.
    mo_mommy

Hi! My LO is very similar to yours! Born 6/11/06 at 7 lb 11 oz...12 lb 8 oz at 2 months...weighed at 3 1/2 months (at home so prob not accurate) 14 lb 5 oz...we have 4 month check up on the 11th, so we'll see for sure.

Sounds like your baby is doing great! Congrats.
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering