Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I still pump and feed with thrush

Default Can I still pump and feed with thrush

sorry if this is in the wrong section but im currently a exclusively pumping mother, and developed thrush, My baby hasnt developed thrush yet. and im wondering if its safe to give her my freshly pumped milk, or should i give her the stuff i have frozen before i got the thrush. I wouldnt have enough to last through the infection treatments and thats why im asking.

Default Re: Can I still pump and feed with thrush

This is a useful link on thrush: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

My understanding is that, yes, you can use the milk you're currently expressing. However, when you have thrush, you also need to be treating the baby, whether you use your current milk or not. It's too easy for one member of the nursing pair to be asymptomatic but infected, and if you ever want to go back to nursing (instead of exclusively pumping), you're going to want to make sure that the baby can't pass the thrush back to you.

I know it's off-topic, but can you share why you've moved to exclusive pumping? There may be a way to get the baby back to the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

ive actually been exclusively pumping because the original person from the hospital i was at gave me bad info on how to get her to latch and within day she had me cracked and bleeding, I went to pumping out of frustration. So she has been only bottle fed breast milk. I nursed her directly for about 3 days but that was all. It may be why hes hasnt developed thrush yet

Ouch! I can totally understand why you went to EP. However, I have to wonder if the reason you were cracked and bleeding so quickly was actually thrush, right from the beginning?

This link may help you get your baby back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Since it's quite common for one member of the breastfeeding pair to be asymptomatic for thrush although both are infected, I'm willing to bet that your baby does have thrush, because she's been drinking your milk. It's just not bothering her for some reason. So if you decide to give nursing another try, make sure she gets treated or she's just going to reinfect you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

no i crACK And bled from the beginning because of a bad latch, taught to me in the hospital (mil hosp't). I have nothing against how the govt.'t does things but theyll train a 18 yr old straight out of high school to be a "lactation consultant" and that scares me.

I am an Internal Board Certified Lactation Consultant (not trained out of high school, LOL), I agree that latch issues were the main reasons for your nipple trauma at the beginning, it is highly unlikely for a breastfeeding dyad to have oral thrush in the early days of life.
    Anyway, you can give your expressed breastmilk to your baby with thrush, it is fine. Congrats to you to you for pumping for your baby! Make sure you treat you and baby (look up Gentian Violet, it works as well as rxs), and clean everything after each use, including pacifiers, breast pads, pump parts etc.
    Good luck,
    Julia