Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: using laxatives and breastfeeding

Default using laxatives and breastfeeding

I was prescribed Colace and milk of magnesia because I had a 4th degree tear. My baby weighed over 9 lbs. I want to breastfeed but my ob said I had to take this medicines until I heal. I am afraid that my baby will have diarrhea. Have any of you encountered this situation? What would you do? Should I "pump and dump" for now and use formula until I am able to stop taking this medicine, or are there any other things that I can do? Thank you for your help!

Default Re: using laxatives and breastfeeding

Well first let me say: congrats on your new precious babe! and good for you for wanting to give your baby the best you can give! My "condolences" on the tear - take good care of yourself!!!

now for the laxatives...
    heres a great non-LLL site that has info on some
    laxatives...

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/laxatives.html

From what I have quickly read they are deemed safe..

Most laxatives, particularly dietary fiber/bulk forming laxatives and stool softeners, are considered compatible with breastfeeding. The stimulant laxatives are more likely to be of concern, and should never be used long-term (whether you are breastfeeding or not).
    if you're worried about the babys reactions you should contact a pediatrician to check out what to watch for...

good luck! happy nursing
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I have been taking a stool softener...and I can't remember the "ingredients" or the name for them...I will find out for you. but I have been taking them since dd's birth, with no apparent complications. I ended up with hemorhoids...not a tear...but boohoo for us both!!!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I took Colace for a few weeks after having DS with no obvious effects on DS.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    I have been taking a stool softener...and I can't remember the "ingredients" or the name for them...I will find out for you. but I have been taking them since dd's birth, with no apparent complications. I ended up with hemorhoids...not a tear...but boohoo for us both!!!
    I've been taking a stool softener too since Adeline's birth (actually I was taking it while preggers too on the advice of my OB). Still take it every day to stay regular ... it does NOT pass through to baby!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I also took a stool softener after giving birth (I believe it was Colace but not sure), and it caused no problems with BFing. There are many many medications that are compatible with breastfeeding and cause no need to pump and dump or to use formula. Both your OB and your child's pediatrician should be able to tell you whether or not the medication is ok for BF and what if any side effects to look for. If the particular one recommended is not considered safe for BF, ask for an alternative that is.

Congratulations on your new baby! Hope that tear heals quickly--ouch! I had a partial 3rd degree and I know it was NOT fun.

I had a c-section (which includes days of starvation plus having your innards moved around while you're open on the operating table- not easy on your digestive system) and I too had to take a stool softener. I was weary too, but I hadn't gone in days, so I did as my nurse instructed and took it. There were no obvious affects on my babe.

Here's to hoping you have a smooth recovery... I've got three weeks to go myself. Feel better!

Just wanted to say that if you have not discussed this with your pediatrician, I would call them tomorrow morning and see what they say. What did the prescribing OB say?

I had terrible tearing with my first DD (and am pretty scared it will happen with this one next week too) - I never had to take a laxative. I was so afraid to go the first time...but it ended up being okay (I was also on a stool softener which I started the night of DD's birth).

I hope that you get answers from the doctors ASAP so that you can carry on with your bf'ing or pumping.

Good luck!!!