Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation five months later.

Default Relactation five months later.

So, long story short -- I exclusively breastfed for the first two weeks. It was physically working, but emotionally/mentally? Not so much. I struggled with severe PPD and had to quit. There is nothing I wanted more than to be able to successfully breastfeed. It was the hardest thing I've ever done giving her the first bottle of formula. I literally bawled like a baby.

Anyhow, I'm in a rhythm now and I really, passionately want to try to relactate.

I have 300 domperidone pills on the way, hoping they arrive sooner rather than later. I hate waiting!

A friend of mine is shipping me her Medela PISA so I don't have to shuck out a lot of money for one in case this doesn't work.

Tell me what has worked for you. I would love some encouragement. How much Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle should I take? Should I start it now or wait to take it with the domperidone?

I know realistically, I probably won't produce enough to exclusively pump (I'm not interested in trying to breastfeed at this point--at all, I'm ONLY wanting to pump), but even if I could just get enough to give her one bottle of breast milk a day, I would consider that a HUGE success.

FWIW, when I was breastfeeding, before my milk came in, I was able to pump 1.5 ounces of colostrum. Once my milk came in, I was able to pump around 3ish ounces with a manual hand pump. So I *was* responding to pumping relatively well, so that gives me hope.

Default Re: Relactation five months later.

....anyone?

PPD is tough, good on you for getting through it safe and sane with a healthy baby.

I don't have any info for your query, but just sending moral support so you know ppl are out there, reading you, and they care.

Here's also for bumping this up the topic thread. Best of luck to you and your family!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Hey! Manatee posted in another thread on relactation, the SNS:
    http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...ing-system-sns

Good luck!
    Katharine

Here's why I think you may not be getting many responses. The relactation protocols usually involve putting baby to breast as much as possible to stimulate milk production. You say you don't want to breastfeed directly. So it's probably going to be challenging or maybe not possible to do this with just a breast pump. The SNS described above is designed to be used with putting baby to breast.

You may want to consider taking herbal supplements. Fenugreek seed - 3 capsules 3 times a day. Blessed Thistle herb - 3 capsules 3 times a day.

Can I ask why you're not interested in breastfeeding? You probably experienced early challenges with latching and nipple trauma, but most of those problems are resolved by baby growing bigger. It may be possible for you to have an enjoyable breastfeeding relationship.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Because I have too many big feelings re: our breastfeeding journey. I have inverted nipples, my daughter would SCREAM at the breast, it's just not a road I'm willing to go down again. It's what caused my extreme depression and the reason I threw in the towel. I've done a lot of research on this since I made this post and I know it's definitley possible to relactate and exclusively pump -- I've come across two women who did just that. So I have high hopes. IF I can establish some sort of milk supply, I would entertain the idea of trying to put her back at the breast, but it's doubtful. I had to use a nipple shield anyway and I don't even have one anymore, I don't think. We'll see, but for now, my focus is pumping.

For what it's worth....the EXCITING news is that I have only been taking the Domperidone for 1.5 days and I ALREADY have milk!! I cannot believe it. I can hand-express a decent amount (well, decent considering the time frame, imo! -- a few drops of definite bm). Obviously nothing measurable yet, but I did notice this morning that my boobs felt different so I am so thrilled that I *already* have milk. And that's WITHOUT a pump OR my Fenugreek & Blessed Thistle (I'll be taking nine pills of each every day: domp, fenu, and b t). I am so, so, so, so excited....I really want this to work out.

I'm just hoping it's a good sign that without any vitamins OR breastpump, I'm making milk after only 1.5 days.

My breastpump arrived in the mail this evening and so did my vitamins. I've pumped once and will be doing it again in an hour. I'm feeling hopeful!

Manatee, good eye, I missed November's ALL CAPS on exclusively pumping! Whoops!

November, that is amazing! Wishing you the best! BTW I haDDD flat nipples, but now LO has shaped them to suit her and bfing is going well.

My fingers are crossed that things go so well for you that you can think about putting her back on the breast. Nothing against pumping, but here on the boards I've picked up that when the baby is put to the breast the baby carries on taking BM for a longer chronological period than if exclusively pumping: others pointed out that pumps are more associated with supply problems and breast infections since a baby is geared to get milk better than any pump can. Main point: just hope that you get the bfing relationship you both want, for as long as it works for both of you
    Katharine