Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby acne

Default Baby acne

Sophie is now three weeks old and she has a severe rash of acne on her chin!

It's not the little white dots that are level with the skin- It's definately raised, red, pus-filled pimples. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong??

PS. I posted some questions about thrush in the thread titled "When will it go away" in the "Getting started with breastfeeding" section. I would really love it if somebody could help me out there, too!

Thanks so much.
    -Sasha

Default Re: Baby acne

congratulations on your LO!

according to the following link, baby acne is completely normal.
    http://parenting.ivillage.com/newbor...=adid=10419557
    it states:
    The good news is, the acne will pass as the hormones are metabolized and leave the body. The bad news is this may take several months and there isn't anything you can do to prevent the pimple formation. It is not caused by the pores being blocked by dirt, so vigorously scrubbing your baby's face will not help. Just love your baby as I know you do, wash her normally with a mild soap, and realize her skin will soon become gorgeous again in the following month or two.

here's another goo link:
    http://www.indiaparenting.com/newbor...ewb23_01.shtml

if you are really concerned, you should make an appointment with your pediatrician and get your dd checked as soon as possible.

HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

My dd is almost three months and has the acne like you describe. It is worst on her chin, maybe from breastfeeding? I expected it to go away by now but as far as I know it is normal.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

My ds had really bad acne when he was three weeks old as well and my pediatrician told me to leave it alone. It will heal on its own and it will probably get worse if you try to treat it. I didn't put anything on it and it went away on its own w/in 2 weeks. HTH.
    Mommy to three amazing little ones...Noah {4/12/06}, Leah {3/21/08}, and Isaac {6/18/10}. Loving every moment!

Yes, very normal. DS had it all over his cheeks from 3wks til about 6-7wks. As the PP said, you don't want to treat it. I didn't even use soap on it. I just washed his face with warm water 2-3X a day.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I know it can be disturbing(let me say is not the pimples that are disturbing is the people saying comments like he is allergic to your milk ) my baby is a month old and he has it all over his face . He just had his appointment yesterday and the Dr said is perfectly normal.

my DS acne just went away, he is 10 weeks. my ped. told me to put selsen blue on it every other day for a week and then once a week after that.

We put hydrocortisone cream on Isabelle's. It went away within a day. She didn't have it all over her face, though, and I only put it on the spots that were not by her eyes or mouth (i.e. outer cheeks and forehead). But there's a specific type that you're supposed to use (I think 1%), so if you decide to use it, I would research on the internet first.

Isabelle also had a rash on her chin from BF, but it wasn't baby acne. That went away after a couple weeks. Maybe the skin just got used to the BF. I'm not sure, but that healed on it's own.

I'm sure you can wait it out and it'll go away on without treating it if you don't feel comfortable putting anything on your baby's skin. I felt comfortable with it, so I just gave it a try. But I know how you feel....it's hard when you have this beautiful baby that you want to take loads of pictures of, and the baby acne really stands out.

I read to keep face clean, as pp said with warm water, and not to let them lay where they had spit up. Not that you would.

My DS had it extremely bad - even in his scalp - and it went away after treating it with 2-3 times daily wash w/ water only. Make sure you don't use any lotions on the face. I also used Ivory soap every other day which helped too.

As for the thrush, make sure you go to your pediatrician to get Nystatin - it will not go away on its own. Are your breasts painful when baby nurses? I don't mean just a little, but like sharp pains. If so, you may have a yeast infection, which should be treated as well.

Good luck.