Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How should I do this?

Default How should I do this?

I am starting my DS (almost 5 months) on rice cereal. Now I know that at this point solids are supposed to compliment breastfeeding, but I am a little confused on how to play it out. How many times do I feed him rice cereal a day? Do I breastfeed first and the give the cereal or vice versa? The couple of times that I have tried the rice cereal I've fed him the cereal first and then breastfed. He seemed to do okay with that. I don't really like pumping so right now I am hand expressing BM to make the rice cereal.
    Going on 5 months of successfully and loving it!!!!

Default Re: How should I do this?

Breastfeed first for the whole first year! This way he'll mostly fill up on your milk which is the most important. As far as rice cereal goes, you really don't need to feed him that unless you want to. There are many other, more nutricious foods that babies can start with, such as bananas, avocados, pears, ect. This is a great site to find out some good foods to start with. They also have a rice cereal recipe that is made from grinding up brown rice and then cooking it. It's better tasting and better for babies than the rice cereal in a box

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Oh, and I just reread your post. 5 months is still pretty young. Here is a link that will tell you the signs of solid readiness in your baby.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Great info! I needed this too!

New SAHM to DD born 12/23/09 and she loves her Mommy time &

with jeannie.bean. I personally wouldn't offer solids more than 1X per day, especially with such a young baby. The goal should be to introduce your LO to solids and make them a fun game, not to fill him up with them. You want to maximize breastmilk intake throughout the 1st year.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"