Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS + grains = ???

Default BLS + grains = ???

Hi ladies,

We are going down the road of BLS, with the odd bit of cereal and/or mashed food mixed in.

I am wondering what you BLS-ers do for grains, like rice and such. How do you prepare it? How do your LOs eat it? Do they actually chew the rice (or whatever)?

Same goes for things like beans and lentils.

Whenever we do a mash or cereal for her, I just preload a spoon and let her feed herself. I guess I could do the same with lentils or a thick dal or soup...

Thanks in advance!
    I'm Sidney, FTM to Stella b. Oct 4 2009.

We and part-time and I'll be liquid gold at work come June.

Default Re: BLS + grains = ???

Here's what we used:
    rice cakes
    Puffed Rice/wheat/corn cereal (single ingredient)
    Cooked rice (who knows if she actually chewed it, but she ate it by the handfulls and still does)
    Pasta (whole wheat)
    beans/peas/lentils as they were
    Occasionally I'd do some oatmeal (real oatmeal, not baby oatmeal) she'd eat it with her hands or I'd put some on the spoon and let her pick it up herself...now she'll eat the whole bowl herself with a spoon

That's all I can think of right now
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Thanks.

I was esp. concerned about the larger peas/beans/lentils (e.g. kidney beans) for choking reasons if she is swallowing them whole. But I guess it seems like people just give them whole...

Anyhow, thanks for your help!
    I'm Sidney, FTM to Stella b. Oct 4 2009.

We and part-time and I'll be liquid gold at work come June.

I think in the Baby Led Weaning book it says you can squish them if you want...or cut them in half to make them more manageble.

Peas, I never did anything to... I think I overcooked the kidney beans at first and they ended up being a little squishy anyway.

you will notice a lot of things coming out looking like they did when they went in nothing to worry about there, she'll get the hang of chewing.
    Proud mom of 2:

Lentils are so tiny I never worried much, and she loves loves loves them. Her first beany bean was black beans... some did come out the other side whole, but many were squished and eaten so I'm satisfied that she did get some nutrition out of them. They are small enough that it would take some major work to choke on them.

I switched to sushi rice for a little while, I only serve rice with beans or other soupy stuff to hold it together and add some complex carbs. If I were awesome, I'd do brown rice but I can't get my brown rice right and the sushi rice is easy for them to hold at first since it sticks together. For pastas we do whole grain or artichoke flour.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

beans i wait until baby has a good pincer grip - squish slightly and let baby go for it

so far we've done:
    - rice pasta
    - mini waffles
    - baby cookies
    - rice chex

baby is 7mo 1w
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I could quote all the pp's, if I knew how to!! All similar to my experience and definitely agree with waiting until they have a good pincer grip for peas etc because if they can pick it up and it is soft then they are ready to have a go at mushing it up in their mouths, IMO.

Just thought I would add a few more ideas that I have found useful:

Lentils and other grains and beans can be spread on rice cakes or pitta bread which D loves especially when it is full of lovely spicy flavours.

With cous cous or quinoa I make up a salad so the grains sticks to the veg and fruit which make good sort of 'dippers' for her to eat with.

Porridge - I have on occasion when she was younger made the oatmeal the night before and put it in a container in the fridge. Next morning you can slice it up and it is firm enough to eat in slices as finger food. This works even if it has time to cool down a little. Now Daisy just scoops it in her hand or uses a pre loaded spoon.

Rice - including brown and red rice (which if you have not tried red rice before is absolutely delicious) - I mix with some natural yoghurt and that clumps it together enough for her to eat in handfuls. Not so necessary now to help her eat it, but she loves the flavour so I still do it. Sticky rice like thai rice is great. You can roll it into sausage shapes or balls which are easier for young hands to pick up and eat from. She cannot get enough of bulgar wheat and yoghurt - Daisy loves her carbs!

Also mashed banana is good to mix with grains to make sausage shapes etc.

I have often gone to bed at night thinking of inventive ways to help her taste and hopefully enjoy the foods we eat without my intervention - how obsessive, I know ??!! She has amazing skills. It's been brilliant to watch them develop and now if daisy is hungry and she likes what is in front of her, it is her mission to find ways to eat the food offered and she never ceases to surprise me with her capabilities and enthusiasm at the dinner table!

lots of luck and happy BLS (or BLW as I call it!)

I am Sarah, mum to Daisy 21/02/09

Oh and how could I forget: BREAD

Whole grain bread, I usually made myself.
    Proud mom of 2:

you can do toast fingers with home made bread or cut it up into little squares... I toast ww bread and put advocado spread on it and cut into squares and my LO loves it... she also likes fresh bread I just give her smaller pieces and she mashes it with her gums
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz