Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nightfeeding and Burping

Default Nightfeeding and Burping

Hi All,

My 10 weeks old wakes up every almost every 2 hours to feed at night. I think she's just thirsty because she feeds for like 5-10 minutes (slow feeding/sucking) and then fall asleep. I tried waking her up to get a full feeding (tickling, etc.) but it doesn't work. When she wants to sleep, she sleeps.

Is it necessary to burp her during these kind of feedings? She feeds only for 5-10 minutes but I get up for like 1/2 hour to 1 hour every time. I burp her for 10 minutes (she rarely really burp but fell asleep on my shoulder), then I change her diaper, then I swaddle her lightly, then rock her a bit, then put her to bed.

If it's not really necessary to burp her, I can just put her back to bed, and get more sleep myself.

Default Re: Nightfeeding and Burping

I never bother to burp my little guy (11 wks old) at night, and it never seems to bother him. I also avoid changing his diaper unless nessessary, so it's back to sleep as soon as possible. Sometimes after he feeds and then sleeps for a few hours without burping, he will burp as soon as I lift him up when he wakes up! Unless your LO is really bothered by gas in their belly, it's not nessessary I don't think.

I never bothered with burping either. Half the time I forgot. Unless your LO seems bothered by it, I wouldn't even bother.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    I never bothered with burping either. Half the time I forgot. Unless your LO seems bothered by it, I wouldn't even bother.
    WSS
    I'm Sidney, FTM to Stella b. Oct 4 2009.

We and part-time and I'll be liquid gold at work come June.

I'm not sure if this is gas but about 1/2 hour to the time she's starting to wake she tends to be restless. She will sort of stretch, bring her legs up to her stomach and hands straightened above her head. Is this just restless because she's getting up or because of gas?