Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Lump

Default Nipple Lump

Hi!
    I have been nursing for 7 1/2 month and just noticed a small pea sized hard lump underneath the skin on the tip of my nipple. It doesn't hurt (maybe a bit sensitive) and I can move it around easily. Any thoughts to what this could be? Thanks!
    Momma to a beautiful baby girl born at home, Violet 9/1/09: cloth diapering

Default Re: Nipple Lump

Can you describe the exact location of the lump? Are you having any discharge of any color from the nipple or pain anywhere in the breast? Does your breast otherwise appear normal? Do you have anything notable in your history in terms of breast health or breastfeeding?
    I can say that this is unlikely to be malignant, but you should have it examined as soon as possible by your healthcare provider.

Thanks for the response! The lump is very close to the tip of my nipple, but NOT on the surface (like a milk blister). It's very hard and I can kind of roll it around between my fingers. I've tried using hot compresses and massage but it hasn't helped. It doesn't hurt unless I mess with it. I stopped by the lactation center at the local hospital and the LC there wasn't sure what it was either and told me to watch it for signs of infection. I think it may have been there for a while without me noticing it because her latch has felt different in the past few weeks but I just thought it may be because she's been on a biting kick and teething.
    I've had a couple plugged ducts in the past but they have been further back in my breast and hurt. I have low supply and use an SNS part time to nurse. The breast with the lump is my "good" one, the one that I have better supply in so of course i'm worried this may effect my supply.
    Thanks!!!

I forgot.... everything else looks normal. No discharge and no discoloration. I can move the lump closer to the surface of the skin and it makes the area look lighter when I do that. Thanks again!