Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else still use a boppy or pillows?

Default Anyone else still use a boppy or pillows?

I'm so happy that DD and I are still nursing at 15 months but I have to admit...I thought that we'd have given up the boppy by now. She has never really nursed without it (or at the very least a supportive pillow) despite my attempts to break our habit. I'd love to be able to nurse without the boppy as a crutch (it's getting a little embarrassing to lug it around with me anytime we take a trip), but I'm not sure that it's possible at this point. DD points at the boppy and grunts when she wants to nurse!

Any thoughts?!? Should I just accept that this is part of our nursing relationship? I should also mention that we're pretty much only nursing first thing in the morning and before naps and bedtime, so it's not really a big deal when we're home. But, still, I have visions of her just being able to pop on to nurse without having to get the boppy set up...

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts!

Default Re: Anyone else still use a boppy or pillows?

My LO is 13 months and we used the boppy all the time when she was really little, but then we moved to nursing while laying down, most of the time anyway- whenever possible, and if we can't lay down I use a couch pillow under my arm. Could you try alternating sessions w/ a boppy and a regular pillow or couch pillow to try and get her used to the idea? That way maybe it will be a gradual transition???

I used a boppy for a long time with DS1, don't remember exactly when I "weaned" off of it. With DS2, though, I only used it for the first couple of weeks while I healed from giving birth (would've strained the stitches to cross my legs, yk?). Either that, or I layed down. But I honestly have not used the boppy to nurse since.

Sounds to me, though, that it's not so much an issue of you needing it to nurse, but of your lo having become attached to it.

Nursing laying down like PP suggested might help to break the habit. I also have nursed DS2 with my legs crossed, kinda imitating a boppy...sorta...
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Thanks for the thoughts! We'll see what she thinks!

Definitely sounds like the boppy has become more of a nursing buddy. Since she was around 15 months, DD has two things she *has* to hold while nursing, and it's a real pain sometimes when she's crying for milk but we have to hunt down her dog and this little face towel . Does your LO have a lovey? Maybe you could try having her hug that while nursing. Or you could try introducing a lovey by always holding it against yourself and your LO while nursing?

We used regular bed pillows throughout our 21 months of nursing--I think it was just what we were used to, and there wasn't any real reason to change.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sobamom View Post
    Definitely sounds like the boppy has become more of a nursing buddy. Since she was around 15 months, DD has two things she *has* to hold while nursing, and it's a real pain sometimes when she's crying for milk but we have to hunt down her dog and this little face towel . Does your LO have a lovey? Maybe you could try having her hug that while nursing. Or you could try introducing a lovey by always holding it against yourself and your LO while nursing?
    This is cute.

Definitely sounds like she is attached to the boppy. It seems sweet.

I win - I still use one with my 3 year old when nursing before bed. It's used strictly for underneath her, though. It's more firm than a bed pillow and works well for us - comfortable in the chair in her room.

DD is 27 months and its been about a month since we'e used it last. only becuase its been behind the couch lol and she cant find it. Its a comfert thing for her but she no longer cares =) we lent it to my little sister for a good year almost.

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

dd was around 2 when she stopped using it, she started wanting it less then eventually just stopped getting it- I think she was running out of room on it anyway
    since 10/10/07
    and still going...