Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Expressing Breast Milk at 2 weeks - I feel guilty

Question Expressing Breast Milk at 2 weeks - I feel guilty

I decided to express breast milk after suffering the worst sleep deprivation ever. I was nursing my little boy constantly as he would only nurse for 5 -10 minutes on one breast and then fall asleep. Just as I thought I was getting the hang of it, one evening I was nursing him and I fell asleep, I realized it right away and I jerked so hard I thought I would drop him. I was crying so hysterically that my husband said I should pump so we could share the feeding experience. So I started pumping and he has been sleeping for at least 2 - 4 hours after each feeding. I feel extremely guilty b/c I feel so bad that we can't bond. I give him a pacifier and hold him close to my breast after each feeding so we can have that "bond". The comfort sucking seems to relax him. I feel bad b/c sometimes he roots for my breast and I want to cry. Is this bad of me ? It was either pump or get him on formula and I don't want to do that. I go back to work in 4 weeks and plan on still pumping. Is it bad that I am pumping so soon ? It also makes me feel good that I know exactly how much he is drinking as well.

Default Re: Expressing Breast Milk at 2 weeks - I feel guilty

Hi there - first I want to say congrats on your new babe and I am so sorry for your troubles and worries right now...!!! but good for you to find this site! it has truely saved my nursing relationship with my LO I also understand your feeling with sleep deprivation! having the ability to sleep when baby sleeps is so key 0 but easier said than done sometimes... but do try it... I was running into walls until I fianlly put my foot down and begged DH and my older ones for 1 nap aday... a mid afternoon nap was the best for me...so to your issue

Regarding pumping.. hopefully someone can come along and give you links to info on this subject - also you can look around the LLL site ebfore that but I want to give you some info I think I remember reading somewhere...
    pumping creates a different "use" of your breasts that the actualy nursing does and since your little one is still so young I would think it better to nurse only for a bit longer. Don;t feel guilty for anything that has happened thus far... just keep coming here and other informational sites to help you along in this relationship!! It is so beneficial to you and your little one...

also - if you haven;t already check out the working moms threads here too.. they may have soe useful suggestions for you.
    I hope this may help you ! good luck and keep it up!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I do feel a bond with him and the baby blues are getting better. It is just too hard for me to soley breastfeed. I was exhausted constantly and dreaded when he woke up. I was so sleep deprived and for fear of smothering him or dropping him during late night feedings, I decided to pump. Since I have been pumping, I feel physically stronger and when I need a break, hubby steps in to feed him. I just feel bad b/c sometimes he roots for my breast. He doesnt have a problem with taking the bottle all. What I am asking is. it it bad that I am pumping so soon ?

I do think that it is WAY too early to be giving your LO a bottle and also, pumping this early will interfere with your body's ability to regulate your milk supply to match your LOs demand. We ALL understand the exhaustion involved in BF our LOs in those critical early weeks. But sweetie, it has to be done! Have you tried nursing in the side-lying position? Stay in bed (or on the couch) ALL day and just focus on nursing your LO. Hubby can help you in other ways by keeping you fed and hydrated and taking your LO for a few minutes so you can shower, ect.

You said that your LO is rooting.....I would advise that you offer the breast at that time and ditch the pacifier. You are headed down a difficult road if you don't feed your LO on demand.

I know that it is comforting to know how much is going in -that your LO is getting enough. But, keep in mind, what goes in must come out. If your LO is gaining well and having several wet/poopy diapers a day then he IS getting enough!

I know you're tired. You will get through this demanding phase (and move onto another ). Don't expect to feel rested for a long time to come. When you go back to work you are going to hit an all new level exhaustion. I have a 6 mos old and I can say that I am more exhausted now than I ever was in the beginning - I would have never thought that possible. You have more strength than you imagine. Hang in there!
    Last edited by luke's mom; October 2nd, 2006 at 05:59 PM.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I second the side-lying position. Also, get all the help you can get from family in terms of cooking, holding the baby while you eat/shower, taking the baby for an hour (when he's not eating) so that you can nap or just rest.

Sleep when the baby sleeps. That is the best advice I ever got! Let everything else go until your bfing relationship is established.

I would ditch the bottles and the paci and offer only the breast.

Good luck! It's tiring but well worth it in the end!

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this. Your experience and the guilt that you are feeling really hits home with me so I wanted to share a little....
    The first few weeks were really hard for us too. I had a painful c-section with some complications, and I too hit the point where the sleep deprivation was just too much. DD also wanted to nurse around the clock and we were nursing with a shield which was very hard and frustrating. I am a new mother and didn't find this forum until about week 6 so I was lacking in a lot of info about breastfeeding. As a result, my dd did start getting a bottle in the first two weeks. (Usually once a day) Part of it was because my husband wanted to participate in the feedings but most of it was I just needed a break every now and then so that I did not completely lose it! (the side lying postion did not work for us at all at first!) We also used a pacifier some. Fortunately we have not had any problems with nipple confusion or nipple preference but I do know that it happens with many. And I never felt that our nursing relationship was compromised because we still nursed more than anything. I really don't know if I would still be breastfeeding today if I had not taken some measures to get some of my sanity back in the very beginning. So, all that to say, don't be too hard on yourself. I can definitely say that the guilt I laid on myself was harder to deal with than any of the rest of it. If you are still dedicated to breastfeeding, you can continue to do it even after going back to work, and you will find a lot of good support on these forums.
    Also, what I do know for sure is that nursing will build your supply much more effectively than pumping and since you have a limited time to nurse exclusively before returning to work, I would take every opportunity to nurse her so that your supply will be well established when you do go back. Hang in there, it does get so much better and you will be glad you stuck it out!!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

I appreciate everyone's input and today I decided to only nurse him without the bottle. The first time I put my nipple in his mouth, he was having a hard time latching on. But I kept at it until he had a good latch. After that the next 3 times were perfect. He didn't have any nipple confusion at all. I also noticed that he falls into a nice slumber and will sleep for quite some time before I have to nurse him again. This was something he didn't do when I gave him the expressed breast milk in the bottle. So I am back to trying to give him only the breast. As for the side lying position, my bed is way to soft for that & I am afraid of falling asleep with him, so I would rather use my boppy and sit upright which is comfortable for both of us. I am planning to go back to work at the end of this month (Oct.) so I will try and nurse him as much as possible since I will be expressing milk when I go back. Thanks to everyone for helping me out on this matter. Also, how long should I burp him after I nurse him. Sometimes he looks so peaceful I don't want to wake him to burp him.

Quote Originally Posted by AidansMommy View Post
    I appreciate everyone's input and today I decided to only nurse him without the bottle. The first time I put my nipple in his mouth, he was having a hard time latching on. But I kept at it until he had a good latch. After that the next 3 times were perfect. He didn't have any nipple confusion at all. I also noticed that he falls into a nice slumber and will sleep for quite some time before I have to nurse him again. This was something he didn't do when I gave him the expressed breast milk in the bottle. So I am back to trying to give him only the breast. As for the side lying position, my bed is way to soft for that & I am afraid of falling asleep with him, so I would rather use my boppy and sit upright which is comfortable for both of us. I am planning to go back to work at the end of this month (Oct.) so I will try and nurse him as much as possible since I will be expressing milk when I go back. Thanks to everyone for helping me out on this matter. Also, how long should I burp him after I nurse him. Sometimes he looks so peaceful I don't want to wake him to burp him.
    Congrats you DS on getting back on the breast!!!! Burping I believe is overrated. If my DD was asleep peacefully, I left her alone. If she was still awake afterwards, I would try for a couple of mins. by rubbing her back (she had sever reflux, so patting would just irritate it), if nothing came out, I didn't force it. Congrats again!!!

It can be difficult those first few weeks, but it gets better. My baby is almost 4 weeks old and I deal with it much better than I was before. It was so hard for me to sleep when she sleeps during the day, but I've gotten to where I can at least take a one hour nap during the day. It helps that her dad works early morning hours so when he gets home he wants to nap as well. So we all three nap at once. I hope that your baby gets better with the nursing with time. They can be demanding little ones!