Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A glass of wine?

Question A glass of wine?

I'd like to get a general opinion on drinking an occasional glass of wine.

DD is 5mo, seems to be going through a growth spurt. I'd eventually like to have an occasional glass of wine, but not sure how safe it is. I don't pump (don't care to either), and currently she nurses every 1.5 hrs. until bed.

My first Anniversary is in 2.5 weeks, and wanted to have some bubbly.

Like I said, a general opinion would be helpful.
    Wife to my HS sweetie.
    Mother to Daisy, born 11/07/2009
    and Dennis, born 10/03/2011

Tandem Nursing

Default Re: A glass of wine?

A glass of wine is fine. And you don't have to pump. Not enough alcohol gets into your milk from one (or even two) glass(es) to affect the baby.

I don't do it regularly but I definitely enjoy a glass of wine here and there.

ETA: I had no let down problems! In fact I was usually very relaxed after a glass of wine so if anything it was easier.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

The amount of alcohol in your blood correlates to the amount of alcohol in your breastmilk. The general rule is that if you'd feel safe driving you are safe to nurse. The alcohol will leave your breastmilk as it leaves your blood so it is not necessary to pump and dump unless you are just feeling really engorged, but not able to nurse.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I have a glass of wine or beer once a week lately. I had a margarita once, but I don't like to drink liquor because it doesn't metabolize out of your system as fast as beer or wine.

Newborns are really the ones to be extra cautious drinking with because their livers can't handle metabolizing the alcohol.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

My LO is 3 months old. I have a glass of red wine just about every night. Sometimes I have two! I nurse my wine over a few hours, really...it's not like I am guzzling it down. So I doubt much alcohol is getting into my milk.

I did the same thing with my other two LO's (ages 9 and 7) and they are very healthy, smart, beautiful...lol!

Enjoy your anniversary!

I have a little bit of wine or beer (1/2 to 1 drink or so) once or twice a week. Typically after lo goes to bed so I have 2 or 3 hours before nursing again. But I'm just extra cautious.
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:
    Z, my land-lubber born 11/09
    Nursed for 22 months, 18 of those with a tongue and lip tie
    Allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

E, my water baby born 05/12
    Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

We , , and !

If you are really worried, you can go to someplace like Wallgreens and they have these little test strips that let you test the amount of alcohol in your milk. Just hand express enough into a cup to dip the strip into and you'll know.

Looks Like This
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

my stepmother had a hard time nursing my little sister because of stress. now, this WAS 25 years ago, but the doc prescribed a glass of red wine a night to help her relax, so apparently, back then, at least, they felt that having some was less harmful than having a stressed out mom. according to the LLL's article about it, a little now and then is just fine.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/alcohol.html
    Ham-Holder, SAHM to Elliott, 07/12/2009
    , , , and now cloth diapering
    loving it when baby to me!
    http://mommasdinner.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up Re: A glass of wine?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystal View Post
    If you are really worried, you can go to someplace like Wallgreens and they have these little test strips that let you test the amount of alcohol in your milk. Just hand express enough into a cup to dip the strip into and you'll know.

Looks Like This
    Thanks. Haven't seen these before!
    Wife to my HS sweetie.
    Mother to Daisy, born 11/07/2009
    and Dennis, born 10/03/2011

Tandem Nursing