Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: novice pumping ? go back to work may 3

Default novice pumping ? go back to work may 3

right now i only have 3 days worth of milk stored. I have not been able to pump at home as often as i hoped to. DD is nursing on demand i think she is still catching up on her weight gain. 5 pounds 13 ounces the day we came home and 7 pounds 6 ounces at 6 weeks. And 2 1/2 year old DS keeps me busy also.

? is: i will be gone away from 7:30 until 3:45- so about 8 hours- i figure i will need to send 10 ounces a day to sitter.

i can pump at work at 10:45, 12:00. and 1:00. will i be able to pump enough to send the next day? i would have to pump 3 oz each session. is that feasible?

i only have to work 17 days (m-f 3weeks and a mon. tues.), then back to nursing exclusively. so i will be nursing on weekends. i want this to work, but worried and want to feel more relaxed about it.

thanks

DS 9/6/07
    DD 2/17/10

Default Re: novice pumping ? go back to work may 3

It sounds like you are doing everything right. The general amount to pump is 1-1.5 oz per hour gone. It seems like you are within that guideline. It also seems like you are allowing yourself adequate time to pump at work. Keep in mind though that the high end of average for a pumping session is 2 oz. So if you can't get more than that don't fret, just wake up 15 min early and pump after your morning feeding (this pumping time produces the largest amount of milk for many moms).

How much are you pumping now per session?
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Sounds like you are doing well! You really don't need to have a full stash of breast milk in your freezer. As long as you have enough for the first day at work that should be plenty. You can use what you pump at work for the next day. 10 ounces a day sounds about right since that's between 1-1.5 ounces per hour. It's possible that you will pump more each session because you will be pumping in place of nursing.

And remember that even if you don't get 3 ounces each pumping session, you can still pump on one side while your baby nurses on the other at home. Or you could add a pumping session at home.

Just try to relax and not worry too much about it. It sounds like you have a great plan for pumping at work
    Theresa
    LLL Leader

sounds good to me. and if you're ever a bit short of EBM you can always pull a few oz from your freezer stash.

i'm away from DS from 7-5 5 days/week. i'm able to pump and bring home 16-20oz and send that with him the next day. he doesn't always eat the last 4 oz, it's a just in case bag.

good luck!
    FTM to Cypress Levon born all natural 10/5/09

Happily
    and while I work

thanks. feel much better.

right now i am pumping when i can for 5 minutes each side after BF. i only get 1-1.5 ounces.

that is actually another question-- when is best time to pump. someone told me an hour after feeding. i will start making sure i pump after the first feeding for sure. thanks!!!

DS 9/6/07
    DD 2/17/10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*teachnmom View Post
    thanks. feel much better.

right now i am pumping when i can for 5 minutes each side after BF. i only get 1-1.5 ounces.

that is actually another question-- when is best time to pump. someone told me an hour after feeding. i will start making sure i pump after the first feeding for sure. thanks!!!
    1-1.5 is a great output! Remember that you are exclusively breastfeeding right now so all of that milk is in addition to what your baby is getting from nursing.
    Theresa
    LLL Leader

I agree that pumping an hour after the first morning feeding sounds good to build up your stash. I am gone from my LO from 6:45-3:00 and am usually able to get the 12 oz. he eats by pumping once first thing in the morning at home and twice at school. You are lucky you are able to pump three times at school. Sometimes I will have to add a pumping session in the evening as well. You can also pump in the morning on the weekend if you have to, but I think you will do fine!

Here is also a link for you to read http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html
    Amy~
    first time mommy, 2-15-09 to my lil bambina from then til ?, done with pumping!!

The best advice someone gave me was to pump right when I got to work, even if just 1hr after the last feeding. I get there ~15-20 min early for this. That would add an extra pump session in for you if you are having trouble.

Don't forget to drink your water! I can definitely tell in my supply when I haven't.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos