Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused about solids!

Default Confused about solids!

Oh my.... I thought I would get on this forum and "browse" some information about starting solids. Now I'm so confused and overwhelmed! My baby will be 6 months on Saturday, and I thought I would give him some cereal mixed with EBM to start. After a couple of days, I was planning on giving him some homemade vegetable purees. Now I'm reading about oatmeal instead of rice cereal, skipping cereal, going straight to finger foods, and many other options. I'm afraid that I looked for help and got confused instead! Is there anything wrong with doing cereals and purees at the beginning?

Also, I'm reading about if my baby's "ready." He sits up unsupported sometimes but can always sit up with a little help from me to balance. He doesn't quite have a pincer grasp, but is very good at reaching and picking things up. He also stares at me with a forlorn expression and makes chewing motions that mimic mine while I eat. I would call that ready (even though I'm not!!!)

Two more questions. When can/should I introduce the Gerber puffs? and If I'd like to give him oatmeal instead of rice cereal first, is it just the oatmeal that I make myself?

Default Re: Confused about solids!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannons-mom View Post
    Oh my.... I thought I would get on this forum and "browse" some information about starting solids. Now I'm so confused and overwhelmed! My baby will be 6 months on Saturday, and I thought I would give him some cereal mixed with EBM to start. After a couple of days, I was planning on giving him some homemade vegetable purees. Now I'm reading about oatmeal instead of rice cereal, skipping cereal, going straight to finger foods, and many other options. I'm afraid that I looked for help and got confused instead! Is there anything wrong with doing cereals and purees at the beginning?

Also, I'm reading about if my baby's "ready." He sits up unsupported sometimes but can always sit up with a little help from me to balance. He doesn't quite have a pincer grasp, but is very good at reaching and picking things up. He also stares at me with a forlorn expression and makes chewing motions that mimic mine while I eat. I would call that ready (even though I'm not!!!)

Two more questions. When can/should I introduce the Gerber puffs? and If I'd like to give him oatmeal instead of rice cereal first, is it just the oatmeal that I make myself?
    IMHO there is nothing wrong with starting with cearal and purees. A lot of moms on here choose to do baby lead solids though, and there is nothing wrong with that approch. Some, including myself, do a mix of bls and purees. Its all about choosing the approch that is right for yourself, that you are comfortable with.
    There are also a lot of differnt opinions on what the first food should be. Rice cereal is faily outdated. I was told by the heath nurses here to start with iron rich foods because the iron store in breastmilk begin to decrease around 6 months.
    You can introduce the puff things when ever you want, as long as baby can pick them up and put them in mouth. I would probably introduce the ingreadents of them indiviually first though. Not actually sure whats in them
    As for oatmeal, you can certainly give him your oatmeal, as long as its not the sugary kind
    There is no "one way" for anything with babys really. So just be prepared to be confused once in a while and choose what works best for you and your baby
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Your post reminds me of myself just a few months ago. I looked here to find 1 answer and ended up finding all different ways I could introduce solids. I know a lot of moms here do BLS, but I think it's really just what works best for you and what you're comfortable with. I was so worried about not doing this right in the beginning and then I realized I was worrying too much. I over-research EVERYTHING for LO.

So, yes, you can start with cereal and purees if you want. I decided I wasn't comfortable with BLS. It sounds great, but I'm scared to death LO would choke this way. LO would probably have been fine, but we started with purees for my own peace of mind. We mashed up bananas at first and LO loved them. Then I tried making my own pureed sweet potatoe and no matter how much I mashed/mixed/blended (yes, I did all of those), LO still gagged on it, b/c it wasn't smooth enough for her. So I bought a few jars of baby food, even though I had decided I wasn't going to make all her food. And that's what we're still doing. She eats mashed bananas, but she's had jarred food in everything else. We're going REALLY slowly, though, so that's not a ton. We're on Stage 2 foods now and we're going to start finger foods pretty soon (as soon as I feel comfortable with them). And then I'll start making more food for her, since she can handle chunkier foods now. My point here, is that there are a lot of different ways to introduce solids and as long as you're doing it safely, of course, I think you'll be fine. I wish I hadn't stressed about it so much.

As for the oatmeal question, a lot of people make their own. We bought baby oatmeal at the store. People kept bugging me about starting LO on cereal. I opted to skip rice cereal and go straight to oatmeal. This wasn't her first food, though. She'd had a few others. Although she really doesn't like it that much, so we have almost a full box of it still.

You might have already seen this link and it confused you but just in case you didn't here it is...http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

But I might add if YOU don't feel that your baby isn't quite ready, there is nothing wrong with waiting until you feel/know he (?) is ready...
    Amy~
    first time mommy, 2-15-09 to my lil bambina from then til ?, done with pumping!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rubestersmommy View Post
    But I might add if YOU don't feel that your baby isn't quite ready, there is nothing wrong with waiting until you feel/know he (?) is ready...
    . And just because a pediatrician might say that you can/should start solids doesn't mean you HAVE to. IMO if baby is gaining/growing well on mama's milk then solids can wait a little while longer. Unless baby's health is an issue, what/when to feed your child is a parenting choice, not medical.

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

Amy~
    first time mommy, 2-15-09 to my lil bambina from then til ?, done with pumping!!

I started on oatmeal with DS2, and he has had both purees and finger foods. DS1 I never did BLS as I never knew it exsisted. There is nothing wrong with purees, and nothing wrong with BLS. Do what you are comfortable with and what your little one is ready for. As far a Gerber puffs, DS2 is 6 months and we do them because they melt so fast. He has a hard time picking them up, but even me putting them in his mouth is fine. Whatever you choose to do for you LO is great, they will be fine and gain weight and love their foods!
    Mommy to Mathew (9/19/06) and Dylan (10/6/09)

for 11 months and it!
    Birth- 8lbs 4 oz 20.5 inches
    2 mo.- 13 lbs 14oz 23.5 inches
    4 mo.- 16 lbs 1 oz 25.5 inches
    6mo.- 17lbs 8oz 26 inches
    9 mo.- 19lbs 4oz 27.5 inches
    12 mo.- 21lbs 0oz 28.5 inches
    15 mo.- 22lbs 1oz 30 inches

Successfully :bf breastfed for 15 months!

Mom to Matthew (4) and Dylan (16 months)