Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW) resources

Default baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW) resources

NOTE: the author of the guidelines document is British, so "weaning" = "starting solids" and does NOT mean "ending breastfeeding"

Gill Rapley's guidelines document (updated June 2008)

book

another book (coming Sept 2010)

excellent blog by parents who've BTDT, includes useful tips and resources

and ... before starting ANY sort of solids I highly recommend taking an INFANT CPR class
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Default Re: baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW) resources

Thanks a lot! It also led me to Gil Rapley's Dutch site, which is great for me, my pedi and GP as we're all Dutch-speaking. Bedankt! It helps because they have one or two old school ideas. My DD will be 6 months in one week, she sends along a 'merci' too because she is terribly keen to start solids, but has ezcema (from me) and we need to approach it slowly.

I hope it's 'legal' to reply to a resources post.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

You're welcome!

HERE is a great resource for starting solids with an allergic infant. Might be useful since you said you're taking it slow.

We've got lots of allergies (including food allergies) in the family so used some of the above ideas while doing baby led solids.

We didn't do a "pure" BLS of just giving baby whatever we were eating because we wanted to introduce ONE new item at a time to be able to see if he had any reactions. Once we were sure baby was okay with a particular food then did lots of different types of things to eat using that as an ingredient. So okay with corn led to baby having polenta, corn-based creals, etc.

Yes - totally okay to post. This is not an "official" resources thread ... mostly a way to have all the BLS / BLW links in the same place so they are easier to find.

Have fun! And let us know if you have questions. Lots of mamas here with experience doing solids this way.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks for the links, I am currently starting to introduce solids to my 7 month old son, but am not in any rush or into 'force feeding' food to him. I figure I'll try a few things here and there when I have time and if he eats it he eats it and if he doesn't then no worries as long as he's healthy and strong!
    Aedan's mommy since 12/09
    Let me get up on my I'm a , ,,, , milk donating, attachment parenting mama! And we wouldn't have it any other way!

That's a fascinating paper! A cheek and lip test. Never thought of it. The sequence of adding foods slowly also helps, but IMHO giving a total of 3 ts+ of food a day is a bit more than 'before one, solids are just for fun'. Thank you!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?