Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Providing milk for another

Default Re: Providing milk for another

This whole story makes me sick Paige, I can't believe any doctor in his right mind would do that to a young girl

anyway I agree with the pps Pump into the Medela bottles then pour small even tiny amts into lanisoh or medela bags both are great and store them flat and clearly labeled, take a bag out after a day or so to taste test, soapy = lipase

oh and if this works out have her start getting bags for you because those things get costly quick !!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

BTW I would do at least 2 1oz bags for tasting/testing and then EVERYTHING else for a while no more than 2oz each bag
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I may have missed this on the other thread, but did she have breast surgery? I guess it's obvious that she did, from what you said. How awful.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I donated through milkshare after Lance was a year old. I donated to a gay couple's adopted baby. I told them I had donated to HMBANA and that I had been screened through them and he took my word for it, never asked to see any paperwork. I know for milkshare it is up to the recipient if they would like milk pasteurized, but I believe very few of them ask for that. I'm sure it does destroy a lot of nutrients. HMBANA does pasteurize, but their milk goes to sick and premature babies so I think they take a lot of extra precautions.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Ok I think we will probably skip pasteurization then. She was leaning toward not doing it but I wanted to check and make sure there was no reason it definitely needed to be done.

Autumn, she said she would cover all the expenses. I just wanted to find out what to tell her to buy. I feel like a total newb since I never really stored my milk past a weekend or so.

Tracie, yes she had a reduction when she was 16. And even though there are other procedures that can maintain the ability to nurse the doctor chose the one that is meant for "women who don't plan to breastfeed and don't value nipple sensation." It makes no sense. And when she went to the doc's office to get her surgical report she said there were two teenage girls sitting in the waiting room.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Ugh, Paige, that really makes me very angry. I was just talking to my friend the other day about how thankful she was that her surgeon did everything he could to make sure she could breastfeed. You really are doing such a wonderful thing though. Even if you can give her just a little bit it will make a huge difference.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I'm looking for a good resource showing how much breastmilk a newborn would need. Do you think it would be the same amount as formula? Maybe a resource for moms of preemies would have some info on that. I'll also check kellymom...
    Great one from Kellymom:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.