Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Providing milk for another

Default Providing milk for another

OK, I figured I's start a new thread because now I have actual questions. Any input is appreciated. Thanks mamas!

• My friend (L) talked to an LC yesterday and she told her she'd need to pasturize it before giving it to baby. Is this necessary? I know they do it for milk bank milk, but this is a one donor, one baby situation so I wasn't sure why it would need to happen. L isn't too concerned about pasteurizing it and was more concerned about any potential loss of nutrients/live substances that might happen as a result. Also, we'll be freezing it, at least in the beginning, so wouldn't that take care of bacteria?
    • I've never frozen my milk, do I need to test it ahead of time to see if there are any lactase problems or is that something that isn't all that common and we'd just deal with it if it comes up? She's not due for a month so any milk I get between now and then will need to be frozen.
    • Any recommendations on storage? Autumn I know you've told me how you did it before, can you refresh me? Or any other moms who use the medela system?
    • I'm looking for a good resource showing how much breastmilk a newborn would need. Do you think it would be the same amount as formula? Maybe a resource for moms of preemies would have some info on that. I'll also check kellymom...
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: Providing milk for another

Could you look on MILKSHARE and see what they recommend for handling donor breastmilk? Similar situation with one-to-one donation rather than through a milk bank.

I'd freeze some small amounts (like 1 or 2 oz) then test them in 1 week, 2 weeks, etc. Defrost and smell / taste to see if there is any yuckiness going on.

Got excess lipase here and my defrosted EBM was HORRID.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My friend (L) talked to an LC yesterday and she told her she'd need to pasturize it before giving it to baby. Is this necessary? I know they do it for milk bank milk, but this is a one donor, one baby situation so I wasn't sure why it would need to happen. L isn't too concerned about pasteurizing it and was more concerned about any potential loss of nutrients/live substances that might happen as a result. Also, we'll be freezing it, at least in the beginning, so wouldn't that take care of bacteria?
    I would think that as long as you and the other mama are comfortable with your health, pasturizing the milk is not necessary. If you were providing the milk for a preemie, I would consider it, but I tend to agree that it is not necessary and the potential loss of nutrients/live goodness would not be favorable. I'm not sure if freezing it takes care of bacteria??

I've never frozen my milk, do I need to test it ahead of time to see if there are any lactase problems or is that something that isn't all that common and we'd just deal with it if it comes up? She's not due for a month so any milk I get between now and then will need to be frozen.
    It would probably be a GREAT idea to do a test-batch of your milk with freezing it, then unthawing to test it for lipase. That way you don't get a nice bunch of milk frozen and then have it be unusable due to excess lipase. I do not seem to have excess lipase, but my unthawed milk does have a "different" smell to it, but not GROSS, kwim?

Any recommendations on storage? Autumn I know you've told me how you did it before, can you refresh me? Or any other moms who use the medela system?
    I'm not Autumn, but I pump into the Medela plastic bottles, then freeze in the Lansinoh plastic bags. I carefully measure the milk in a plastic bottle first (markings on storage bags are NOT accurate) then I pour into the bag, making triple sure I seal it securely, then lay it FLAT in the freezer (they store better that way.) ETA: Then once they are frozen, I put groups of them (by date) into large gallon or 2-gallon storage bags to put in the deep freeze. ALSO, make sure you DATE the storage bags and mark with how many ounces. And personally, I don't usually put more than 4-5 ounces in a bag for several reasons... one, if it leaks for some reason, it is less milk lost, and also my DS only takes 3 ounces in his bottles, so I like to put 3 ounces in the storage bags so I can just thaw and pour it right into a bottle (for daycare).

I'm looking for a good resource showing how much breastmilk a newborn would need. Do you think it would be the same amount as formula? Maybe a resource for moms of preemies would have some info on that. I'll also check kellymom...
    Hmmm... not really sure on this one... but I would think a newborn would take maybe 2 ounces every 1.5-2 hours?? Probably Kellymom has good info on that one.
    Last edited by @llli*buff24; April 13th, 2010 at 09:59 AM.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

MILKSHARE - has info on storing milk.

I pump into Medela collection bottles then store using Lansinoh storage bags. I put a couple of Lansinoh bags into a freezer ziplock bag then lay them FLAT to freeze. Takes up less space in the freezer and also will thaw out faster.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I donated to a friend, and we talked about things like that. She knew my medical history, so she was OK with it not being pasteurized in the end. If that's the case for you guys, then

I would check into lipase, just in case; it would be a drag to pump for the next month and then discover your milk does not freeze and needs to be scalded before freezing. I didn't know I had problems with lipase, and I had been nursing for almost 5 years at that point.

My friend fed about 2-3 oz of my milk per bottle feeding, and between what she could feed at the breast and what I could pump and donate, she did not need any formula until her baby was over 6 months of age, at which time I couldn't meet her entire needs any longer -- I couldn't make my supply increase, but that's probably because my baby was 11-12 months old at the time.

I pumped and stored it in bags, like the Medela ones. I labeled and froze flat, then I took it to her once a week, frozen. I would pump into the bottles then scald all at once at the end of the day before divvying up into bags of 2 oz each; 1 oz didn't stay frozen during transport.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks ladies! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

As far as medical history, what kinds of things might someone be concerned about that would make them want to pasturize? I mean, I've never had any bizarre diseases, parasitic infections, STDs, bacterial infections...

Thanks for the link Lynn, I'll check the milkshare page for more info.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    MILKSHARE - has info on storing milk.

I pump into Medela collection bottles then store using Lansinoh storage bags. I put a couple of Lansinoh bags into a freezer ziplock bag then lay them FLAT to freeze. Takes up less space in the freezer and also will thaw out faster.
    The only thing I can speak to is the freezing. I also did it like this exactly.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I gave milk to a mama in my town. I just showed her my hospital paperwork that showed I didn't have HIV, Hepatitis and a number of other things. She actually didn't care, she asked if I had those things but I wanted to show her that I had proof that I didn't.

about the lipase - my frozen milk didn't smell gross, just weird. I didn't know until Lilah was about a year, because I didn't taste it until then - but it tasted like vomit. And it seemed like it would take about 3 days in the fridge for it to get that way. So if I ever pump again, I will definitely be doing taste tests on my milk and scald if necessary.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Newborns and bottles... I think it will depend. Is the mom not able to produce any milk? Will she be using an SNS with your milk, or using bottles? Lilah drank maybe an ounce or so at a time from a bottle as a newborn. But she only drank more than 2 ounces from a bottle once as a 12 month old, so I'm not sure.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Newborns and bottles... I think it will depend. Is the mom not able to produce any milk? Will she be using an SNS with your milk, or using bottles? Lilah drank maybe an ounce or so at a time from a bottle as a newborn. But she only drank more than 2 ounces from a bottle once as a 12 month old, so I'm not sure.
    She will not be able to produce any milk most likely. The LC palpated her breast yesterday and said that her milk ducts are cut off about a centimeter from her nipples. So she is perfectly able to make milk, and may already be making it, but there is no way for it to come out. She plans to use an SNS for bonding and skin to skin contact at least at first.
    --Anonymous