Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 month old getting enough?

Default 6 month old getting enough?

So, if a 6-month-old is generally happy and VERY active, can I assume she gets enough to eat no matter how worrying her nursing seems to be - always nursing for some 3 mins on ONE side (refusing the other) except when she's sleepy? Is there anything such as a 6-month-old who is content (with playing or sleeping) EVEN when she doesn't get enough?? This same baby at 2 months old was content with sleeping (and was also having active periods) and she was NOT getting enough.

About diaper output... Well that's a bit tricky since we do EC. Sometimes she goes 1.5 hour without peeing - or 2 hours without peeing much. Bowel movements seem OK (or does it?) - some days significantly less than others but she does go everyday (all yellow).

Please ladies give me some reassurance... Thanks much.

Default Re: 6 month old getting enough?

Have you been monitoring weight gain? Do you think that would give you a better picture?

How often are the three minute sessions? In some countries they only nurse a couple minutes but since they babywear etc.. it is very frequently.

((also what does EC mean in this context, sorry for not knowing))
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

I think if a baby is generally happy and active, you can usually safely assume that she's getting enough to eat as long as she is a) producing enough wet and poopy diapers and b) growing in some dimension (not necessarily weight; length and head circumference count, too). Your baby's diaper output (even with the EC) sounds normal. Yellow and frequent poops generally indicate that a baby is getting plenty to eat- but be aware that some babies slow down in the poop department around this age, with up to a week between poops being normal as long as the poops are soft and passed without pain.

All that being said, there are some babies who do not eat enough just because they're too busy interacting with the world to think about their tummies. How often is your LO nursing? It can't hurt to offer more and see what happens. And have you started solid foods? If you have and you're concerned about your baby's growth, skipping the purees and cereals and going right for the fattier foods- avocado is a good one- may help allay your worries.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*redpowerlady View Post
    Have you been monitoring weight gain? Do you think that would give you a better picture?

How often are the three minute sessions? In some countries they only nurse a couple minutes but since they babywear etc.. it is very frequently.

((also what does EC mean in this context, sorry for not knowing))
    No, sorry for the abbreviation . EC is elimination communication. We put her over a little potty to pee/poop.

Weight gain had been fine up until when she was 5 months. It's been almost a month now. I can't wait till her 6 month check up. Only a few more days to go but I'm still very anxious and need some reassurance.

I try to offer to nurse her as often as I can but she doesn't always want to nurse. If she nurses well on both sides then I'll offer again 2 hours later (unless we're out of the house, and it's impossible NIP with her these days), if only 3 mins on 1 side I'll offer again 1/2 hour later. I don't wear her at home.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think if a baby is generally happy and active, you can usually safely assume that she's getting enough to eat as long as she is a) producing enough wet and poopy diapers and b) growing in some dimension (not necessarily weight; length and head circumference count, too). Your baby's diaper output (even with the EC) sounds normal. Yellow and frequent poops generally indicate that a baby is getting plenty to eat- but be aware that some babies slow down in the poop department around this age, with up to a week between poops being normal as long as the poops are soft and passed without pain.

All that being said, there are some babies who do not eat enough just because they're too busy interacting with the world to think about their tummies. How often is your LO nursing? It can't hurt to offer more and see what happens. And have you started solid foods? If you have and you're concerned about your baby's growth, skipping the purees and cereals and going right for the fattier foods- avocado is a good one- may help allay your worries.
    I try to offer to nurse her as often as I can but she doesn't always want to nurse. If she nurses well on both sides then I'll offer again 2 hours later (unless we're out of the house, and it's impossible to NIP with her these days), if only 3 mins on 1 side I'll offer again 1/2 hour later. At night I try to nurse her 2-3 times, most of which are dream-feeding these days. I'm nervous about her daytime nursing so I try to get her to feed at night. So typically about 10x/24 hr but about half of them are one-side feedings. And it's AWFUL when she doesn't want to nurse, pushes away and screams at me.

No we haven't started solids yet. I"m kind of lazy there and I would like her to get as much BM as possible, even though I feel terrible pressure because of her nursing.
    Last edited by @llli*irismom; April 13th, 2010 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irismom View Post
    No we haven't started solids yet. I"m kind of lazy there and I would like her to get as much BM as possible, even though I feel terrible pressure because of her nursing.
    Don't feel bad about not starting solids! My pediatrician would tell you that breastmilk (or formula) is all a baby needs until age 1, and until that time solids are just for fun, and are not nutritionally necessarily.

Also, there are very few solids that are as calorie-dense and nutritionally complete as breastmilk, so if you're concerned about weight gain it's usually best to focus on getting the baby to nurse more instead of pushing solids. So even though it sounds like your baby's nursing habits are driving you nuts, it's the best thing you can do.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sometimes babies at around 6 months are very efficient and can get all the milk they need in a short period of time. If she is gaining weight and active and alert those are good signs that she is getting enough milk.

It also might be necessary to encourage her to nurse more often because at her age they can be easily distracted. Have you tried nursing in a dark, quiet room to keep her interest longer? Or sometimes babies are more willing to nurse when they are sleepy.
    Theresa
    LLL Leader