Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When will my Premie go longer between feeds?

Default When will my Premie go longer between feeds?

I had my baby at 33 weeks. She is now a few days past her due date. She still eats every two hours and is a "lazy eater" (takes 45-60 mins to eat). When will see get quicker and more spaced out?

Default Re: When will my Premie go longer between feeds?

I can't speak to the premature side of things, but my daughter did the same thing for the first 6 weeks or so... and she was born full term at 42 weeks. I think it's pretty typical newborn behavior. Breastmilk digests in 90 minutes, so it's really normal for them to want to eat every 2 hours.

Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

She is now 7 weeks old. Should I expect her to take another 6 weeks to go longer between feeds. Even at night she rarely goes 3 hours between feeds.

I think it depends on her. Every baby is different. All of the things I see mom's of preemies posts leads me to believe that you should gauge your expectations based on the due date and not on the day they were born. Hopefully one of them will come along soon.

How are you doing? Is breastfeeding going well? Have you tried doing breast compressions while you are nursing to get some extra milk in her? How about her latch - is that pretty good? Or do you think that a visit with a lactation consultant could help with the latch and her milk transfer?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Hi mama! Congrats on your LO!

I agree with Tracie, it really just depends on your LO. There isn't really a set time that they finally decide to start going longer....it might be another week for your LO, it could be longer. Sorry I can't give you anything more concrete than that!

Is there a specific reason you are wondering aside from just needing a little break?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

It's really hard to say when or if your baby will start going longer before feedings. All babies are different: some need to eat more frequently than others. And while you'll hear a lot of people claim that babies "should" go 3 hours between feedings, it's just not true. Baby tummies are tiny and breastmilk digests fast, in only 90 minutes or so. And that's 90 minutes from the beginning of a feeding, not the end of a feeding! The idea that babies should go 3 hours between feedings comes from the eating patterns of formula-fed babies, because formula digests slowly compared to breastmilk (not better, just slower) and because it's a lot easier to cram a baby full when you're using a bottle.

However, I think you can eventually expect 2 things: longer stretches of sleep at night (perhaps 5 hours or so), and more rapid feedings as your baby gets stronger and becomes a more expert nurser. By a few months old, most babies are able to get a full meal in just 5-10 minutes at the breast. When that happens, nursing every 2 hours isn't so difficult.

Hang in there! Your baby is still so young. I would expect a minimum of 6 weeks before any changes in her feeding patterns take place.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. I only ask b/c I am ready for a break, some better sleep and time to get things done between feeds. Plus I will have to go back to work in four weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*33weekgirl View Post
    Thanks. I only ask b/c I am ready for a break, some better sleep and time to get things done between feeds. Plus I will have to go back to work in four weeks.
    Do you cosleep? That SAVED me and my sanity! I could just roll over, give the boob, and we would both go back to sleep. It might take some getting the hang of since technically speaking she is still so young, but if you can practice that, at least in some form, it can help a lot with feedings at night.

Hang in there mama....it won't be long and you'll get a break!
    Last edited by @llli*nolies.mama; April 12th, 2010 at 02:37 PM.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

cosleeping is the only way I've managed to function at work over the past year.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Co-sleeping has been so great for us.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months