Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: badly hurt nipple

Unhappy badly hurt nipple

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I have a 4 day old that I can't seem to latch on correctly. The lactation nurses at the hospital tried to help me but when I came home it was wrong again. She is a very strong sucker. My nipples have both started to bleed and I'm using lanolin that helped. But just an hour ago she sucked so hard on my left nipple that she pulled like extra skin from it and it was bleeding bad. My nipple looks deformed it has so hanging tissue. I'm so devastated I can't stop crying. it's like the tissue is damaged. What should I do? I hope you could help. I really want to breastfeed. This is making me feel so sad.

Default Re: badly hurt nipple

Oh my dear I am so sorry you are going through this. I have been there, if that helps. I, too, had a "barracuda" of a sucker and the emotional and physical pain was like nothing I had ever experienced. Even with all the help and going back to visit my lactation consultant, my nipples scabbed, bled, and skin hung off like you described.

The only advice I can give you, is to keep it up, be persistent with getting the right latch, work through the pain, express some milk onto your nipples after a feeding, let it dry, then apply the lanolin after the milk on your nipples has dried. The milk works wonders with its healing properties. I swear I'm surprised they haven't bottled breastmilk in a facial cream! I know it is painful to take the baby off and then put them back on correctly, but the longer you let that little one stay on incorrectly, the longer your nipples will take to heal. They WILL heal eventually and the pain will be a distant memory and ALL WORTH IT. Don't give up sweetie!

Here's a link that describes how to get the right latch:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/positioning....d%20on%20Well?

Hope that helps!

I think the absolute best idea for you is contacting a La Leche League leader or lactation consultant (IBCLC) for one-on-one support. They can guide you much better than anyone can over the computer and can take a look at your latch and positioning in person to make sure you and your little one get off on the right foot in your breastfeeding relationship.

Is there a La Leche League Group in your area? The leaders will help you for free. Here is the link to find one:
    How to Find a La Leche League Leader Near You

Or you can find a list of International Board Certified Lactation Consultant's here.

In the mean time here is another resource including healing tips for damaged nipples and more information on latching correctly:

Healing Tips for Damaged Nipples

Latch and Position Resources

The previous poster gave excellent advice too! It's vital you get your latch right ... that is why calling a local LLL leader is important. And it WILL get better! It's really rough in the beginning, but hang in there and it will be so worth it. You are providing a priceless gift to your baby in breastfeeding, and coming here to get help shows how well your mommy instincts are working and how determined you are to make it work. You are doing an excellent job, mommy!

Let us know how things progress for you. Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Post Re: badly hurt nipple

Hello,
    I just wanted to thank everyone for responding in my time of need. I recieved some great advice. The Lanolin works great my nipple is doing better. I spoke with a LLL leader this morning and she was alot of help. I'm going to their next meeting. I also called my hospitals lactation consultant and I will go see her later this evening. I will keep you all updated. Again I really appreciate everybodys advice. It's great to know that there is so much help out there.