Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When will my dd stop nursing at night?

Default When will my dd stop nursing at night?

I am just wondering if anyone knows what is typical as far as how long my dd will continue to need to nurse at night? She is 7 months old, but was 6 weeks premature, so her adjusted age is 5 1/2 months. Honestly, I don't mind her needing to nurse at night, but my pediatrician has told me that I need to stop feeding her in the middle of the night. It's so hard to have the dr. saying one thing, but nature seeming to say another....??? I've read lots of literature that states that breastfed babies may continue to nurse at least once a night until they are a year old. Is this true? And more importantly, is this ok? My pediatrician also tells me it's ok to let her cry-it-out some, which I just can not do (I am not a fan of this dr, but have had several already and am tired of looking). Can anyone tell me, one, it's ok for my dd to eat in the middle of the night still? Two, how long she may continue to do so? And three, does anyone have experience with this and can you tell me it will end eventually? Thanks!!!

Default Re: When will my dd stop nursing at night?

You need to give your doctor a big kick in the head! He is giving you "parenting" advice and not medical advice. If your dd is hungry, feed her. Plain and simple. Shiloh is 5 months old on Friday, and he's been sleeping through the night for the most part.

Recently, he's waaaaaaay more interested in the world around him than in nursing, so I have actually been waking him for a night feeding. Sounds crazy, I know...but he had started to drop some weight and be really fussy, so I decided to let him co-sleep for part of the night and just nurse.

Whether or not you choose to let your child CIO is your choice, but it should be because that is what YOU believe is best for your child...not what your doctor told you to do.

Does your dd sleep with you? If not, when she wakes to eat, have you tried waiting a few minutes to see if she'll settle herself and go back to sleep? Shiloh will do this a lot. He'll wake up, start chewing on his toes and "talking" and then he'll just roll over and go back to sleep without eating.

That is something that you can try to do without letting her scream....give her a few minutes and see if she'll go back to sleep on her own. If not, I would encourage you to feed her...she isn't waking just to be a pain...she's hungry and needs her mama.

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I agree, the doctor is not the person to turn to in this situation. Feeding your son at night is still natural at his age, and CIO is your choice. Generally, you do what your instincts tell you is right and go with it. My son is 7 months old and feeds about three times a night.

Thank you SO much for the replies so far! Honestly, my gut has told me to just keep nursing her at night if that's what she wants. I do try to see if she is consolable without nursing, but most time (not always) she cries and gets so upset until I nurse her. That tells me she is hungry or needs comfort from nursing. I have so many justifications for continuing with the night nursing (one being keeping my supply up...something I've been having issues with lately anyway), but it is SO hard when this dr. keeps getting on me about her not "sleeping through the night without needing to eat". It is very comforting to know that my baby isn't the only one who still needs to eat at night! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Most of the ladies here will tell you to take your pedi's advice with a grain of salt(unless it's something serious). My DD is six months old and still has at least 2 feedings at night, sometimes more. Every baby does things differently so for your pedi to give you advice simply based on his opinion is silly! As long as you don't mind it why worry?

I would do what you think is right, after all the you are not dealing with a medical emergency or medical problem which a pedi would know best about. If you feel it is best for your baby's needs (hunger as well as emotional) I would continue to nurse.

I also have a 7 mo...and I'm finding this very tricky. I feed her very regulary throughout the day...and I feel as if I have a very good sense of her hunger/feeding patterns. Yet, at night, she wakes after only 3-4 hours of sleep...and I am almost entirely certain that she is not so hungry that she couldn't go back to sleep. But, boy, does she want to nurse! It's so hard to know what the right thing to do is. I really don't mind feeding her throughout the night, but I would hate to prevent her from learning how to fall back asleep on her own....if that's really what she needs right now. Such hard decisions....

Proud Mother of ThreePrecious Children

Calder Anwyn
    February 21, 2006
    Nursed Until 18 Months
    Ewan Walker
    May 31, 2008
    Nursed Until 15 Months
    Reed Bennett
    February 26, 2011
    Off to a beautiful start...!

My son is 9months old and he nurses "on demand" which means whenever he see fit. My experience has been the older he gets the more I feed him at night. It really goes up when he teethes due to the pain and on a "good night" we nurse 3x a night. It is what it is. Do what feels right. One night I was busy going thru the attic(Don't ask) and I had him w/ DH and he cried exactly long enough for me to not ignore him and come down and warm up a frozen bottle. By the time I got to them he had fallen back asleep. But the next timE he woke up he ate that whole bottle w/out opening his eyes...so I'm to believe inclined my baby nurses because he needs to. Whether it be for hunger, or pain, or the need to now I'm there I believe by allowing it I'm meeting a need.

My daughter is also 7 months- she rarely sleeps without waking atleast once to nurse- here's what I do-
    Most nights, I nurse her down (8-9pm), put her in the crib(in my room) and go to bed. If she wakes within 4-5 hours later, first I put her in bed with me, facing away from me- 8 out of 10 times, she snuggles in and goes back to sleep till 4-5am, and then wakes for a feed. If the snuggling doesn't work within 5 minutes, then I know that she's actually hungry.
    I tend to think that there's too much focus put on babies "sleeping thru the night" Technically, that really is only 5-6 hours!!! I say, follow your baby's cue- he/she will let you know!!!