Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vitamin D Supplementing

Default Re: Vitamin D Supplementing

We live in Wisconsin so we do the supplements in the wintertime. My understanding is that the UV index does not get high enough for the body to produce Vit. D. even if we do get outside in the winter here.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Adults need to have 2/3 of their skin exposed for 20 minutes to make their daily need for Vit D. DS and I are so pale we're basically see-through, that much skin for that long is just a recipe for sunburn.

FWIW, I'm in the camp that thinks that Vit D is a miracle substance. It's not exactly a vitamin, it's a precursor to hormones, and all of its roles in the body are still not yet known. Personally, I struggled for years with infertility. I did a TON of reading about everything in the world that could be wrong with us, and one study showed that rats with Vit D deficiency had smaller litters and higher rates of infant mortality. Some theorize that Vit D may contribute to infertility and miscarriage. I got a blood test and was severely deficient. After 6 weeks of high-dose supplementation, I got pregnant on my first full cycle with normal Vit D levels, and carried this perfect little guy to term. It's anecdotal, of course, but I'm a big believer.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Thanks for he info girls. I can see where some may need the supplement but in most cases we get enough sunlight per day. FYI...the sunlight does not need to be outside. If you can sit by a window while inside it will do the same thing.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3boysmomma View Post
    Thanks for he info girls. I can see where some may need the supplement but in most cases we get enough sunlight per day. FYI...the sunlight does not need to be outside. If you can sit by a window while inside it will do the same thing.
    Sorry to come poo poo on everything, but that actually isn't true either, it has to be direct sunlight.
    I have posted an article about that before so let me find it and I will be back.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

In the summer we get enough, but definitely not in the fall/winter/early spring here.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Here is one of the articles that I have linked before and the excerpt.

The healing rays of natural sunlight (that generate vitamin D in your skin) cannot penetrate glass. So you don't generate vitamin D when sitting in your car or home.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?