Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lots of spit up and gas, is that normal?

Default Lots of spit up and gas, is that normal?

I been exclusively breastfeeding my 6 week old baby since birth. As of lately he has been spitting up a lot and passing gas a lot. Is this normal, is it my diet ? Am i over feeding him. I tend to feed on demand, he has no schedule. Should i put him on a schedule?
    Mom to Mariella 8/6/05, Konstantinos 10/24/06 and Antonis 3/4/10, breastfeeding for the first time. Just make a year!

Default Re: Lots of spit up and gas, is that normal?

As long as he's not in pain when spitting up or passing gas, it's totally normal. Babies have very immature digestive systems (leading to lots of gas), and the muscles that keep their stomach contents down are still relatively weak.

Spitting up is not related to your diet or to overfeeding. You can't overfeed a breastfed baby, because as soon as the baby starts feeling full, he stops sucking for food and either comes off the breast or begins to suck softly for comfort. When this happens, milk flow stops or slows to a trickle. This is not how it works with a bottle. When a baby sucks on a bottle, the fluid keeps drip-drip-dripping into the baby's mouth at the same rapid pace even after he's done sucking for food.

While gas is generally just a product of an immature digestive system, it can be related to your diet, but only when the baby has an allergy or intolerance to something you're eating. In those cases, it's unlikely to be things that cause gas in adults that make the baby gassy (things like beans, broccoli, cabbage, etc.). It's more likely to be dairy in your diet.

You should absolutely continue to feed on demand. Scheduling is highly detrimental to breastfeeding. Here's why:
    - Every mom has a different milk storage capacity. Some moms can store huge amounts of milk in their breasts, others don't.
    - Infant tummies are tiny, and breastmilk digests quickly (in about 90 minutes). The idea that babies can be scheduled comes from the eating patterns of formula-fed infants, who tend to eat larger amounts less frequently (because formula digests slow and because it's easier to overstuff a baby when using a bottle).
    - When it comes to milk supply, supply = demand. So a baby who is not given enough chances to demand may not be able to maintain an adequate milk supply.
    - Unless you're using a highly accurate baby scale, you don't know how much your baby ate while nursing. He could have had a quick snack- meaning he'll be hungry again soon- or he could have had a full meal. Mistake a snack for a meal, and then try to make the baby wait, and he'll have been hungry for a long time before he's allowed to eat again.
    - Schedules = misery. Scheduling generally means making your baby cry, and cry, and cry and cry and cry. Babies don't understand waiting for food any more than they understand waiting for comfort or affection. So a schedule often means making your baby sad for a long time, while he tries desperately to figure out why he's giving you all the cues you need to help him but you won't respond.

In short, keep on doing what you're doing!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No need for a schedule, sounds like you're doing everything just fine.

My LO is a pretty gassy baby and always has been, though it comes and goes in terms of intensity. At that age, they have an immature digestive system. You can try to work out the gas if they seem to be uncomfortable, by bicycling their legs and by kind of rotating their pelvises to encourage the gas to come out.

How are your baby's diapers? If the poop is in the yellow-orangey family, you're doing fine. If baby is getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk, they can have greenish poops and gas - is that an issue? Otherwise, there's some debate/controversy over whether your diet has an impact on baby's gassiness. You could try to eliminate the things that cause adults to have gas (cabbage, cauliflower, etc. - google it). It might or might not help, many experts say it should have no effect, some disagree.

As far as the spitting up, how often? How is baby doing otherwise? Does baby seem to be crying a lot? Is baby gaining well? How many wet and dirty diapers? A certain amount of spit up is normal for babies, and mine started spitting up about that age. It's an issue if they seem to be in pain and/or are not gaining weight well.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

His diapers are pretty frequent, it seems like i am always changing them. They are in the yellow-orange family. As for my diet, i drink a lot of milk, both soy and skim milk. I am also a big fan of cheeses, on pizza and crackers. I will try to slow down on this, will be hard, thou. He usually spits up a big chunk after every feeding, its a curdle, ricotta cheese looking spit up. As for crying it seems like unless i am carrying him or nursing him he is crying. Everyone says i spoiled him cause he is always on me. He only falls asleep w my breast in his mouth and i slowly remove it and lay him down. This is my first time nursing, i did not nurse my other two. Its definitely a different type of mothering i am still getting used to it.
    Mom to Mariella 8/6/05, Konstantinos 10/24/06 and Antonis 3/4/10, breastfeeding for the first time. Just make a year!

His diapers are pretty frequent, it seems like i am always changing them. They are in the yellow-orange family.
    That sounds great!

As for my diet, i drink a lot of milk, both soy and skim milk. I am also a big fan of cheeses, on pizza and crackers. I will try to slow down on this, will be hard, thou.
    I don't think you need to, though. If your baby did have an allergy to dairy, you'd probably see some greenish poops, and you're not.

He usually spits up a big chunk after every feeding, its a curdle, ricotta cheese looking spit up.
    That sounds entirely normal. Again, as long as the baby isn't in pain when he spits up, spit up is more of a laundry issue than a health issue.

As for crying it seems like unless i am carrying him or nursing him he is crying.
    This also sounds normal. There are so many reasons why babies cry! Growth spurts are a common reason, but personality is a big reason why, too. Many babies just like to be held.

However, if you feel like your baby is in pain, you may want to talk to your doctor about the possibility of reflux, or perhaps an ear infection.

Everyone says i spoiled him cause he is always on me.
    You can ignore them. I'll never understand why people expect that a newborn baby should lie all alone in a crib when he has spent his 9 months of life being in constant contact with his mom!

There's no way that what you're doing is going to "spoil" your baby. It just doesn't work that way.

He only falls asleep w my breast in his mouth and i slowly remove it and lay him down. This is my first time nursing, i did not nurse my other two. Its definitely a different type of mothering i am still getting used to it.
    I completely understand! Breastfed babies are different, especially when it comes to feeding. But you're doing a great job, and it's so awesome that you're giving nursing a try after doing things differently the first couple of times. Not everyone is willing to try something so new and different.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, i will keep trying to follow his lead, massage him and hope this is only a phase.