Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When do I start?

Question When do I start?

My first child is due November 17th and I want to know how soon after delivery I should start nursing. If anyone knows or has an experience to share please let me know.
    Thanx

Default Re: When do I start?

Congratulations!! And welcome to the forum!

You'll want to put your babe to breast as soon as you possibly can. I let my doctor know ahead of time that all the weighing, tests, etc. had to wait at least two hours so that I could spend that most important and precious time bonding with my baby. She was nursing within 2 minutes ... I helped the doctor "pull her out," and she started breastfeeding just minutes later, never leaving my arms. After a couple hours they weighed her and did some tests, and after that she barely left my arms again except when I had to share her with daddy (I kept her in my bed with me, much to the nurses horror).

Dr. Sears has great information on nursing immediately after the birth of your baby:

TIPS ON BREASTFEEDING IMMEDIATELY AFTER BIRTH
    (See this link for more info on latching on and sucking in the just born baby)

He states:

Both mother and baby benefit from being in contact immediately after birth. Consider these facts from research on in the hour or two after birth:

Studies show that newborns who have early contact with their mothers learn to latch on more efficiently than babies who are separated from their mothers in the hour or two following birth.

This is a time when baby will be in a state of quiet alertness, the optimal behavior state for interaction with you. Her eyes are wide open, she is attentive and is looking for another set of eyes - and for the breast.

Remarkable films of newborns after birth have shown that babies draped over mother's abdomen make crawling motions toward the breast and often find their target with minimal assistance.

Give your baby your full attention during this precious time. Gaze into her face, let her hear the voices of her parents that she learned to recognize already in the womb. Drape baby over your chest, tummy to tummy, cheek to breast, skin to skin. Your helpers can cover baby with a warm towel, and your body heat will keep him warm better than any elaborate hospital equipment.

It's so incredible that your little one knows exactly what to do. My little girl started to try and nurse through my gown, latching on before I had a chance to get it off! Nursing that first time was such a beautiful, life changing experience.
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; October 1st, 2006 at 11:20 PM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Asap! GOod for you for wanting to start right away - it is best... I'd suggest giving your doc.. but more importantly the nurses the heads up as well as your hubby or sig. other - doula etc as they can be useful in the nursery to remind the nursing staff that you're a nursing mom...
    Just a few thoughts.. I am sure other mamas will come by and give other info!!

good luck - happy pushing

- oh I see someone beat me to your first reply!! definately check out those links!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Congratulations in advance, and good luck! May your labor be swift and your feeding be smooth. Let me tell you... that hormonal high after delivery will make it a snap to get your little one nicely feeding away. They brought my son to me immediately after bathing him and doing the APGAR. It was a great experience- I'm sure it will be for you too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    The info Annie gave is perfect! I just want to add, if for any reason you have to delay, baby needs oxygen, birth doesn't go as planned, please don't think that it won't work if it takes a bit longer. The info given is the IDEAL, and sometimes things don't go as planned! Whatever happens the first chance you get you should put your baby to your breast!

And you could try giving birth in the nude, to avoid the latching on to the gown problem! (actaully latching onto clothes is very very common, hence why some women perfer to be nude (since they are already bottomless and well common on legs up in the air and all.......what's a little boobie admist all that!)
    True, true, true! Always be ready to adapt to a changed birth plan!

And, hindsight is 20/20 ... goodness, I wish I would have just done away with the gown completely before I even started pushing. Of course, that would have totally scandalized my mother in law when she viewed our birthing pictures (who already believes I'm totally cuckoo).

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

With respect to nursing ASAP - write a birth plan. Give it to your nurses. Some hospitals will take it in advance. Include in there that you want to nurse ASAP and you want to avoid artificial nipples. PERIOD. If they have it in writing you're not depending on the nurses to relay that info at change of shift. Sample birth plan

It really is amazing. I can remember Emily almost crawling up my stomach to latch on that first time. It was really amazing. So much of your pregnancy you can not witness the miracle of science but as I saw her instinctively head towards her food source ad I realized that my body was busily making colostrum and preparing for milk to come in it blew my mind. It made me feel so primitive and almost like an animal. A weird moment to be thinking, "Wow, I am a mammal." But that was what was going through my mind...
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Here is my story, in short, as an example of a birth plan gone wront .

I had planned on an all natural birth...no meds, baby nursing right away, roomin in, no artificial nipples. I had a plan typed out, and it was very specific. Well...we went in for a nonstress test, because little missy just wasn't in any hurry to enter the world. And the entire pregnancy she had been head down. Until the Saturday before she was born, which was a Wednesday (the same day as the nonstress test). So...we talked about our birth plan, and how it might change with a breech baby (partially transverse breech...undeliverable vaginally in most cases). The hospital where we delivered (and the only one within 70 miles, so changing at that point was not an option) did not allow babies in the recovery room after a C-section. Recovery, with the closing of the C-section takes about 1.5-2 hours. That would mean that she would not be able to nurse for that long .

We decided to wait until I went into labor...which happened about 2 hours after we left the doc's office...just in case she turned back to head down. It didn't happen, and I labored for about 20 hours before we decided on a c-section, and then it was another few hourse before they could get me in the OR.

So...when I finally got Haylee in my arms, she was ravenous...and really wanting to suck. She came out sucking on her thumb and it was in her mouth until my nipple was. And it was okay. It worked out. But it wasn't ideal, by any means. The nurse convince us to give dd a pacifier, because I was exhausted and they took her to the nursery, and I am sure it was for convenience for them, which I don't really understand, because she was fine just sucking on her thumb. But the nurse told us we could take away the binker but not the thumb (BS, in my opinion now...its not any easier and much less atractive to an ap mummy!). Oh well..its there, the nursing worked out and here we are, 9 months later...still going strong.

The point is, to get the baby to the breast as soon as feasible. If that's right away, great, but if its a few hours, that can be successful as well!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I wanted to nurse right away too! And it really is best, but we tried and he wasn't latching and it was just frustrating for both of us. But the good news it that babies are not born starving (so I have been told). Our supportive pedi told us not to worry, so needless to say it was 4 hours later that we finally BF and he did great!
    Also a little piece of advice that was helpful to me...Nurses like to chart everything, its their job. So don't feel stressed when they always ask...when did he eat, for how long, when is the last time you fed him, etc, etc. Try to nurse every 2 hours and if he is too sleepy its okay. babies are sleepy. Just try try try. You will be great! Congratulations and good luck!!

La Leche League says "Early and often!"

Most mothers find their babies are very alert during the 2 hours or so after birth. This is the ideal time to try to get baby latched on!

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

They say it is best to do it immediately, or as soon as you can! I had beautiful fantasies about getting her straight from the birth canal, and beginning to nurse before she was even cleaned... Unfortunately, I ended up getting a c-section and nursed her for the first time about an hour after she was removed, through a haze of drugs.

I hope things go perfectly for you, and don't be intimidated to tell the staff you want your baby right away!