Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many pumping sessions into one bottle?

Default How many pumping sessions into one bottle?

If i plan on pumping after every feed, and then dumping it all into one and dividing (if I'm lucky enough to get that much), how many sessions can I dump into one container? I read in Baby 411 (a book), that you should not exceed a 24-hr period. (i.e. 5am-5am)

Default Re: How many pumping sessions into one bottle?

The Baby 411 info sounds right to me. You don't want to be combining milk from different days into the same container, because you might label the bottle with the date for the more recent milk, and therefore end up using expired milk when it's time to feed the baby.

Any reason why you're planning on pumping after every feed? Are you having supply problems?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I *was* having supply problems, I was trying to bring more in, but this morning I got almost 5oz out of both breasts! *gasp* that's unheard of coming from my boobs, who didn't give me more than 2oz in the AM and .5oz after feedings!

My parents are coming into town for a week starting tomorrow, and we'll be out of the house quite a few times. I want a "on the road" supply for when I'm showing them around town.

I agree with PP. I usually don't exceed a 24-hour period when combining milk. Be sure to date the milk with the oldest pumped date... I'm sure you won't have a problem!
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ftmommyg721 View Post
    I *was* having supply problems, I was trying to bring more in, but this morning I got almost 5oz out of both breasts! *gasp* that's unheard of coming from my boobs, who didn't give me more than 2oz in the AM and .5oz after feedings!
    Congrats on the 5 oz this morning! That's a lot!

Just for the record, as long as the baby is having adequate wet and poopy diaper output and is gaining weight appropriately, it's okay, and totally normal, to only get 2 oz in the a.m. or .5 oz after nursing. After a while, your supply adjusts to meet your baby's needs very exactly, without a lot of extra milk left over to pump out after a feed.

My parents are coming into town for a week starting tomorrow, and we'll be out of the house quite a few times. I want a "on the road" supply for when I'm showing them around town
    Any reason why you don't want to nurse while out and about? It's almost always a lot less trouble than pumping, storing, and transporting bottles... The milk is always at the right temperature and can't fall on the floor, etc.. Though a bottle can be a lot faster than nursing when you have a newborn or young baby, so if you're in a hurry it's understandable why you'd want to use one.

If nursing discreetly is a challenge right now, a nursing cover or a nursing shirt might really help, and nursing in front of a mirror may, too. You might be surprised to realize how little skin you're actually showing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ftmommyg721 View Post
    My parents are coming into town for a week starting tomorrow, and we'll be out of the house quite a few times. I want a "on the road" supply for when I'm showing them around town.
    Keep in mind that you need to pump every time your LO eats, to avoid causing more problems with your supply. If you're planning to bottle-feed while out and about, you need to plan on a corresponding pumping session. If your baby is older than 6 weeks, you may have some leeway to delay pumping a bit (though not advisable if you're already having supply issues).

For example, this weekend we went to the zoo for 4 hours. I nursed LO just before we left at noon. He needed to eat around 2. We got home and he ate again around 4. I nursed him at the zoo. If I didn't plan to do that, I'd have had to go more than 4 hours without removing milk from my breasts, which would have been uncomfortable to me and would have told my body to slow down the milk production, less is needed.

If you're going to be doing this for a week, there will be a cumulative effect. It's easier just to nurse while you're out and about. Invest in a nursing cover if it will make you more comfortable.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

I wasn't planing on being out for too long of periods of time, but my LO has been going anywhere from 1.5-3hrs between feedings. I can't even go to the grocery store w/o my husband needing to feed her. So, I know I have to pump in place of a feeding, but because she's been feeding randomly at 1 1/2hrs sometimes, I have it so that I CAN go to the grocery store without feeling horribly rushed. Another time pumping saved my ass was when I was stuck at the dentist for 4 hours (straight) without any forewarning.
    New here, hi!
    Mother to Hailey
    since 3/18/10

If I have an "extra" milk one day, I save it for the next (I used to just incorporate it into that day's bottles, but I'm having minor supply issues now so I save it). I put a piece of masking tape to note the day, that way I keep up with the "oldest" milk.

For example (my baby gets 3 bottles of 4.5oz each):
    Monday, pump 15 oz - 13.5 to bottles, 1.5oz in fridge
    Tuesday, pump 14.5 oz - 1oz leftover
    Wednesday, pump only 11oz, make up 3rd bottle w/ Monday and Tuesday's leftovers.

Point being, I've mixed several days' worth of milk together, but I always make a note to myself how old the oldest milk is. As long as it's w/i the 7-day window, I feel like it's good.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos