Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Raw milk

Default Raw milk

Ok, milk isn't a solid but I digress...

My sister suggested when I'm ready to give DS milk, to give him raw milk. I'm not sure this is very feasible for financial reasons BUT if I ever do decide to give it a try, is it safe to switch back and forth between raw and regular (but organic) milk?
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Default Re: Raw milk

my kids are 4 and 6 and we do some raw cheeses, so I am not 'against' raw milk/raw cheese, but I personally would not give it to a one year old

me either,
    Now if it was my cow I might....

OLder kids sure but never to replace mommy milk.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    Now if it was my cow I might....
    Otherwise, forget it. The illnesses that can be transmitted via raw milk aren't equal-opportunity offenders. Infants and young children are among those most likely to be seriously sickened by the illnesses (like Campylobacter, E. coli, Listeriosis, and Salmonella) that are rarely transmitted via raw milk. Older kids and non-pregnant adults with healthy immune systems can drink raw milk without much worry because even if they do get sick they are unlikely to become severely ill.

Would there be a danger specifically from the act of switching back and forth between organic pasteurized, homogenized milk and raw milk? No. But if you're going to give your kid any raw milk, there is a degree of danger associated with that.

As long as your baby is still nursing 3-5 times per day, there's no real need to offer cow's milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agree with the previous posters regarding safety. Small children have died from drinking raw milk due to bacteria that a healthy adult could handle. I only know of specific cases in California, but I personally wouldn't feel safe giving raw milk until they are older.
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Once again, thank you ladies!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

I suppose you could tell your sister that he has been getting raw milk since he was born. I actually just discussed this with the day care regarding my youngest. The teacher was discussing how all bottles would be gone by 1 year, because then they "have" to start whole milk. I asked her if I could just continue to send my milk, and they just give it in a cup. She insisted, no, they have to have whole milk. I flustered her by saying, "Well, my milk is whole." Even though we had been discussing handling of breastmilk up to that point, it took that last comment for her to realize, oh yeah, humans make that stuff too!

Agree with the others that there's no need to start any cow's milk, raw or otherwise, until toddler is no longer nursing very much at all. If they do decide to do raw milk (we do), make sure they know their farmer well, personally and by reputation. Visit the farm and personally inspect their safety/sanitation practices, meet the cows, ask the farmer lots of questions! Talk to others who are part of the cow-share program. Ask if they are part of a self-regulating body and what their incidence of infectious diseases has been.

Our dairy is part of the Raw Milk Association of Colorado. The dairies in this association have actually NEVER had an incidence of infectious disease like the ones Mommal listed. It does happen, but it's VERY rare, especially if the dairy is following strict sanitation practices. There is no reason for a healthy, clean cow who has no contact with these germs to get it and pass it on.

Moral of the story- do your research and know your farmer and you will most likely never run into this stuff.

That said- I still won't be giving it to my DS until he is close to not even nursing at all.
    Sharon
    SAHM to my boys:
    Z, my land-lubber born 11/09
    Nursed for 22 months, 18 of those with a tongue and lip tie
    Allergies to peanuts and tree nuts

E, my water baby born 05/12
    Currently nursing through the aftermath of a tongue and lip tie revision, still trying to work it out

We , , and !

I found this and just wanted to chime in that we have given our toddler/preschooler raw goat milk as a supplement to their diet. They only have very little of it - maybe 2-3 oz. a few days a week. We like it because it is easier to digest and the pasturization actually kills the nutrients... we have checked out the farm and know them. Friends of ours have used this farm for drinking milk also and we have never had a problem with it. I totally agree with the pp. Just wanted to let you know about our positive experience.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    The illnesses that can be transmitted via raw milk aren't equal-opportunity offenders. Infants and young children are among those most likely to be seriously sickened by the illnesses (like Campylobacter, E. coli, Listeriosis, and Salmonella) that are rarely transmitted via raw milk. Older kids and non-pregnant adults with healthy immune systems can drink raw milk without much worry because even if they do get sick they are unlikely to become severely ill.

Would there be a danger specifically from the act of switching back and forth between organic pasteurized, homogenized milk and raw milk? No. But if you're going to give your kid any raw milk, there is a degree of danger associated with that.
    Proceed with caution.