Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dairy allergy question

Default Dairy allergy question

So I believe 7 mo DS has a dairy allergy (plus egg allergy) since implementing BLW and having severe reactions (all over hives). I believe he has had this for sometime (through just breastfeeding) without Ped recognizing. I finally did some research and saw his symptoms of red around anus, eczema, and foul smelling BMs could be food allergies. A little bummed the Ped didn't put this together when I asked months ago, but glad I am recognizing now. Obviously, I won't be letting DS eat these items, and I realize I should cut them out of my diet. However, how much do I cut out? Do I just not eat eggs, milk, cheese, etc? Or do I need to cut out any product that has those as ingredients like bread? If I do, this will probably be very difficult leaving me only fruit, vegetables and meat to eat. Opinions please.
    my adorable baby boy, and he loves it, nappies but love that little fluffy bottom, just started BLW & dishing out healthier meals for my family , vacuuming up a storm now that he rolls everywhere, and when I get a minute.

Mothering has definitely gotten me more in tune with my inner latent .

Default Re: Dairy allergy question

My LO, who's almost 9 weeks, was diagnosed with a dairy allergy a couple of weeks ago. I was told to totally eliminate dairy from my diet. This includes breads and such, like you mentioned. My LO never had the hives or any other rashes. The dr.s office did a test on his stool sample and came to this conclusion. (I'm still not sure of this) I have to tell you that it is a little challenging at times, and I have let hidden dairy slip in. However, it hasn't had any effect on him so I'm thinking that his allergy is not severe. The dr. said that they can not do any other tests right now in order to check the severity. Maybe your LO can be checked, I'm not sure what age is appropriate. Other mamas here will, they have such great advice.

Also, there's recipes in the allergy forum. You'll find that once you start, you'll get used to it. But, like I mentioned, I still slip up. Just do the best you can.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

As the mom of a LO with multiple food allergies here are my thoughts.

Eliminate ALL forms of suspected food allergens from BOTH your sn baby's diet. Info about how to read an ingredient label here

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org...food-allergens

make an appointment with an ALLERGIST for testing and a written emergency action plan; the doc will likely also prescribe an EpiPen
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks to both of you. I will making an appointment with an allergist and weeding out all possible culprits. I was just wondering how do you both handle cooking in the house for others who don't have the same allergies? Do you cook multiple things or does the rest of the family go without the allergen as well? Thanks.
    my adorable baby boy, and he loves it, nappies but love that little fluffy bottom, just started BLW & dishing out healthier meals for my family , vacuuming up a storm now that he rolls everywhere, and when I get a minute.

Mothering has definitely gotten me more in tune with my inner latent .

We are all mostly dairy free now. I may cook a side that will have dairy, but that's about it. I've always been a vegetarian, except for during my pregnancies. Since most seafood was not "ok," I decided to eat turkey and chicken. I have continued to do this since it's still my main source of protein. My point is, is that I'm quite used to making separate meals for me if I'd have to. But, my family doesn't miss the dairy. I've found butter that has no dairy, and even ice cream, which is pretty good! Our LO's allergies couldn;t have come at a better time. You'll find lots of groceries in your store's organic section.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

We decided to make our house safe for DS1 food allergies. So everything we cook at home is dairy, etc free.

Come over to the food allergy part of the forum. Lots of resources and ideas for things you CAN eat. Including THIS THREAD.

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Sometimes we all eat allergen free, sometimes I cook different versions of the same thing. Depends what we're having. The good news is that if it's just dairy and egg you are avoiding there are lots of replacements you can use. Definitely check out some of the recipes in the allergy forum.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

DS is sensitive to dairy and I had to cut it all out.and the results are very good!
    so do cut it all out it's a bit difficult at the beginning but I promise it will get easier.
    I cook diary free and DH has his diary separately.
    on the allergy forum there are lots of recipes and you can also look for some vegan website,they always have good advices about replacements.
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

When I was eating dairy free before and after my first son was born, all the meals I made would be dairy free. DH just went dairy free along with me. When ds1 started solids, we just bought small blocks of cheese, individual yorgurt, ect for him. It wasn't till I started eating dairy again, that any meals where prepared with it.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!