Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: going back to school - pumping

Default going back to school - pumping

I have a couple of questions - I will be student teaching in January until May, and so will have to put my daughter in daycare unfortunately. But, I wanted to keep breast feeding, so I'm going to pump. My first question is if I start pumping a couple times a day so that I can freeze some milk to make sure I have it while she is in daycare, how long will it take for my supply to increase to meet the extra demand? Also, I have heard that breast milk changes as your baby gets older. So, if I freeze milk that I pumped when she is 5 months old, and then give it to her when she is 7 or 8 months old, is it not as beneficial? Also, can you thaw frozen breast milk by putting it in the fridge overnight or do you have to warm it at the same time? Sorry for all the questions - I have had it pretty good being a sahm, and now am feeling worried about leaving her all day five days a week! Thanks

Default Re: going back to school - pumping

Congratulations on baby and preparing to student teach! Have you spoken with your cooperating teacher yet about planning to pump while teaching? It's a bit tricky to do this at school and you will have to be willing to keep up with your responsibilities during the day while you pump. I currently pump during breaks and at lunch but I can lock myself inside my classroom and work at the same time. You may need to do some planning for this. It's possible, just be sure to arrange this ahead of time. Do your professors know that you plan to do this as well? It can't hurt to let everyone involved know of your needs in advance.

As for milk changing, you will also be giving your baby freshly expressed milk so the amount of milk you produce now may be mixed in with it or used on it's own. I've never noticed that it has made any difference as far as not being satisfying to my baby.

I would recommend you begin to store milk now so you will have plenty of extra by the time you start school. I generally only get milk out of the freezer for Monday and I've usually put milk in on Thurs. and Fri.

There probably is a set safe way to thaw milk, but I just thaw mine on the counter and then put it into bottles while it is still cold. It takes a couple of days to thaw when I leave it in the refrigerator and I've usually not got that much time. Someone will probably have the official word on this. Check out the pumping section of this bullentin board. This post will probably get moved there by a leader soon. Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    My first question is if I start pumping a couple times a day so that I can freeze some milk to make sure I have it while she is in daycare, how long will it take for my supply to increase to meet the extra demand?
    Typically just a few days, the boobs are pretty smart!! Keep up the pumping and within a week you'll be getting a full feeding probably at each pumping session. Make sure you are dirnking tons of water!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    Also, can you thaw frozen breast milk by putting it in the fridge overnight or do you have to warm it at the same time?
    You can pull it and put it in the fridge and then run it under water when you need it. Just make sure you thaw it as late as possible. Your 24 hours starts ticking when you take it out of the freezer!

And as for the milk changing, etc, I have wondered that myself. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Good luck, pumping is another hurdle, just like bf at first but you can figure it out. DO Make sure you are very clear about your needs with all of your co-workers, etc. It will help. Help you feel relaxed during your pumping sessions, too, which makes a big difference - if you don't feel like anyone is waiting on you, etc.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

I noticed a difference in the milk that I froze from when my son was a month old to what it is now. I went ahead and cycled it out and used up all the frozen stuff and froze the new stuff. In a regular freezer I heard it only stays good for about 2-3 months, so that is why I decided to cycle it out. But it definately didn't seem as 'thick' as it is now, so I'm glad I used it up. He still seemed quite satisfied with the frozen milk though!