Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: stupid doctor :)

Default stupid doctor :)

I went for dd2's 6month visit (even though she was almost 7ms) and let him know that we were trying some solids, but she wasn't really interested and i wasn't pushing it. i think he was deaf or has selective hearing because this was the conversation:

him: now about eating...
    me: we have tried some things like apples, pears, carrots, but she will not open her mouth when i tried to feed her, and i'm not about to pry her mouth open, so she has had some tastes, but nothing like a 'meal'
    him: well at 6 months she should be eating 5 table spoons of cereal with 2 oz of fruit, and 2 oz each of a fruit and vegetable for lunch and dinner
    me: she hates cereal and oat meal, so i don't even bother and she isn't lacking by anymeans so i'm not pushing three meals a day, she doesn't want to eat it.
    him: well, what i suggest is to nurse her in the morning then give her the oatmeal and then give her the fruits and vegetables before you nurse her in the afternoon and evening
    OK, at this point, i TOTALLY stopped listening to him and just made sure DD1 didn't get hurt climbing on the chairs. I mean, Really, nurse her after food, don't think so!!! then he went in to talking about increasing to 4oz and adding meats. did he not hear me say SHE HATES BEING FED BY A SPOON. i just smiled and said, yeah, ok. the stuff that he was reading from is dated so long ago, that i'm not totally ignoring it, but i'm not following it's suggestions either! THere are 6 drs in the practive and he is one of my least favorites. the women dr's are so much better! i'm not sure if you can request them, but i will start to try!!
    My only saving grace is that she is gaining weight just fine and she is doing great in her milestones. I think he was trying to push it because she isn't sleeping through the night, but that isn't a reason to force her to eat stuff she doesn't like!
    ok, that was my little rant, and i feel better i told that all to DH and he was like, so. just do what you think is right.

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Default Re: stupid doctor :)

I'm glad you're laughing this off! I don't know where docs come up with this BS. If it's any comfort, my pediatrician would tell you the exact opposite- nurse before solids, don't push things, it's all just a game.

Since your LO hates the spoon, have you considered trying a baby-led solids approach? Just put some healthy solids on her tray and let her exp[lore them and get them into her mouth at her own pace. It really takes the pressure off you to get things into a closed mouth!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

some doctors huh??
    Amy~
    first time mommy, 2-15-09 to my lil bambina from then til ?, done with pumping!!

yup, we are doing BLS with some other tastes too. she will put things in her mouth on her own and i'm fine with that. but it is no where near 5 tbs or 4oz of anything, and i'm ok with that. she likes applesauce if she sucks it off her hand. same with yogurt. she loves anything in the mesh feeder too!!! i hate hearing my mom say, well she needs to learn to eat from a spoon but that's a whole different issue i'm dealing with

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

Just put a spoon on her tray and tell your mom that she is learning how to use the spoon. That ends that discussion.

My daughter doesn't eat that much food now at 17 months. At 7 months we were lucky to get an ounce of food in her per day.

Where are these babies that eat all that food?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I just wanted to mention that you might want to try cereal and oatmeal again at a later date. I read in a couple of books that babies' taste change, so your LO might like them if you try them later. Just a thought.

I think your approach is totally correct. Eating for now is just practice. If you force feed her, you might turn her off to being spoon fed. When she's ready, she'll eat from the spoon.

My nephew was born a month premature. He's 10 months old now I think. He loves eating baby food, veggies, fruits, meats, etc. My brother and parents have offered him cheerios and he put one in his mouth but as soon as it hit his tongue he threw up. So, they don't offer him anything hard (puffs, cereals, that sort of thing). I think he may not like foods with chunks in it either, but I'm not sure.

They mentioned it to the doctor when the doctor asked about foods at the last checkup and the doctor started the "Well if he doesn't start eating those in the next month or so we're going to have to do some" eating study / rehab thing. *rolls eyes* This kid is perfectly healthy and definitely does not go without. He's near 30 inches and weighs like 28ish pounds. He's not starving.

I think doctors get so set on the averages that when your child goes outside the avg (which is perfectly normal) they start to push. I suspect it's because if something really does turn out wrong you get parents who start blaming the doctor of "why didn't you catch this earlier" yadda yadda and even some who consider / try to sue. Unfortunately it makes things a real pain for those of us whose children are on the ends of the spectrum that make up the avg (like my daughter who decided she didn't want to pull up / walk until she was well over a year old -- our doctor tried to tell us we had to get her to phys therapy. As soon as she pulled herself up for the first time, within a few days she was pretty much a pro at the whole walking thing...)

I believe in most multi-practices you can request a specific doctor. I know with my first I could request which OB I visited for my appts. There were only two that I really liked, and a couple that I didn't. Depending on the popularity of that doc though, it might make it harder to get an appt.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.