Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursing a 2 week old and my 31 month old and pumping 12-20 ounces milk extra a day...

Default Nursing a 2 week old and my 31 month old and pumping 12-20 ounces milk extra a day...

Okay ladies so I don't know what to do! I am nursing a 2 week old and tandem nursing my 31 month old.... and my milk supply keeps increasing.. i was at first just pumping 1 a day (becasue I was so full), but now tonight will be my third time pumping today within a 24 hour period! Is it unreasonable of me to think that maybe I'm producing way too much milk... I am getting use to nursing an infant again.. and juggling nursing my toddler...(she only nurses two or three times a day at the most), and I was okay with pumping once a day... but three times a day on top of nursing two.. I just think its too much... WDYT? Any suggestions?
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

Default Re: Nursing a 2 week old and my 31 month old and pumping 12-20 ounces milk extra a da

2 weeks your baby is still very young..ITs going to get beter!
    how are your newborns wets? And poops? maybe keeping track of that would help you figure out if they are getting the milk they need to grow?
    I would rather pump then get a plugged duct.

Default Re: Nursing a 2 week old and my 31 month old and pumping 12-20 ounces milk extra a da

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    2 weeks your baby is still very young..ITs going to get beter!
    how are your newborns wets? And poops? maybe keeping track of that would help you figure out if they are getting the milk they need to grow?
    I would rather pump then get a plugged duct.
    She has had six or seven wet diapers today.. and I think one poop diaper today... but typically she is getting four or five poop diapers a day... so can I assume she is getting enough?
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

If you're feeing too full hand express just to comfort and taper off pumping. Every time you pump you send your body the message to keep making more milk.

OR consider becoming a breastmilk donor!

HMBANA.org

or look up "milkshare"
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

If I were you I would cut down on the pumping or you could have an OS/OALD problem. Just try to ease down on it gradually. Your supply should regulate soon. I actually started pumping very early and gradually stopped because of OS. I added pumping sessions back in a few weeks later when things were back under control. If you pump due to engorgement in the beginning it just creates a vicious cycle of pumping to relieve it and then making the problem last longer because you are sending the message to your body to produce more. Try pumping only just enough to relieve it. Good luck!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

yup wets sound good...
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html

I agree if your fealing like it too much, it most likely is too much.

with pps,try to avoid pumping or it could get worse.I had OS at the beginning and it adjusted in a couple of months.
    meanwhile you can hand express or pump just a little bit to get some relief.
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

Are you using an electric pump? I really struggled with oversupply last time (well, with both of my first 2 babies) and I'm struggling again. Its really frustrating. I have yet to pump, she's 3 weeks old, and I'm still fighting massive oversupply. I just ordered a new hand pump, and I'm going to try pumping some, as we need a little so I can continue running, and see how it goes, but its really a battle. On one hand, you have to pump because the foremilk makes baby spitup uncontrollably, and on the other pumping is a double edged sword. I wish I knew what to tell you. I'm also on 8 hour blocks right now, so feeding on one side for 8 straight hours, just to get to some hind milk. I'm not sure that's not making it worse, though. I have no idea, and this is the 3rd time I've fought with it.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I never nursed two at a time, but did have oversupply with both babies. Pumping definitely made my oversupply worse. If you can hand express, I would suggest that. Even hand expressing made me produce more, though, so be careful! I don't know anything about nursing a preschooler and a newborn, but I wonder if you could block feed? That helped a lot with my newborn when I had oversupply... If you don't know what that is, you can read up about it I'm sure - and other moms can chime in, but it's basically having your lo's feed off of the same breast for a set of hours (like only feed off the right breast for 4 hours and then only the left). The trick is to make sure the opposite breast doesn't get engorged - and that you don't cause undersupply. Is that too confusing? Anyway, I hope you can figure out what works for you because oversupply is no fun!!!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

okay so hereis the update. I ended up hand expressing some.. which made it so usually between 12:30 and 2:30 am I end up waking up extremely full and pumping about 10 ounces.. so thats better than 20 and better than pumping two to three times a day! I think the hand expressing is helping some. And its just amazing how much you forget from baby to baby. I should have realized that pumping was increasing my supply....