Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: water

Default water

I was in Kroger's ealrier and I saw the gallon of nursery water, so I was wondering when is the best time to introduce a baby to purified water?

Default Re: water

AFTER the 6month point while eating solids.

The water you saw was for mixing with formula. Babies don't need any water as breastmilk contains enough already. My mom was telling me yesterday they sent her home from the hospital with little bottles of water to make sure we got enough. I occasionally give my DD, 5 1/2 months, a cup with water for play and learning and because she acts interested in food and is not ready. I will sit her in her high chair and let her play with. Mostly it ends up down her shirt.

Here is a link and what that link states about giving baby water.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...aby-water.html

Guidelines for offering water to breastfed babies

Breastfed babies do not need water - keep in mind that breastmilk is 88% water. Even in the first few days after birth, before mom's milk has "come in", colostrum is all that is needed to keep baby well hydrated (assuming baby is nursing effectively). Per the American Academy of Pediatrics, "Supplements (water, glucose water, formula, and other fluids) should not be given to breastfeeding newborn infants unless ordered by a physician when a medical indication exists... During the first 6 months of age, even in hot climates, water and juice are unnecessary for breastfed infants and may introduce contaminants or allergens."

In addition, breastfed babies do not require water when it is very hot outside, assuming baby is allowed to nurse as needed. Baby can get all the liquids needed via breastmilk. A number of studies have determined that an exclusively breastfed baby does not need extra water - these studies have been done in various locations (both humid and dry) at temperatures ranging from 22-41°C (71.6-105.8°F) and 9-96% relative humidity [see references below].

Ah okay, that makes sense thanks