Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you get your little one to sleep?

Default How do you get your little one to sleep?

I have a couple of question:

1) My 3.5 mth infant will not sleep unless she is wrapped up (like they do at the hospital when they're born). As she is getting older, i am getting nervous about getting a large enough receiving blanket! How long did you wrap your child for?

2) Mine needs to be rocked to go to sleep. When she gets sleepy she fusses and then breaks into an all out cry fest until she is being rocked and wrapped! I don't have to rock her for long but still she has to be rocked. I am worried about this habbit as she gets older and heavier. How do you put your child to sleep?

Thnaks

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: How do you get your little one to sleep?

I HIGHLY recommend buying/borrowing the DVD called "Happiest Baby on the Block".... your local LLL group will probably have it to borrow.

In that video, he gives tons of sleeping hints. He recommends swaddling for AT LEAST three months, but said that some babies benefit from it for up to six to eight months! I think as she is benefiting from it, keep doing it! If you need a bigger blanket, you can buy some flannel or soft fabric, and hem it, and make it as big as you want! (That's what my MIL did for me.)

The video also says you can "wean" your baby from swaddling by trying to swaddle with one arm out, then graduating to both arms out.

Thank you for that info. Mine needs to be swaddled at 3.5 mth still and i was also planning on getting may be a sheet if i need to but i never thought about weaning the baby and thats a great advice on one hand and then both hands. Thanks.

Do you rock your baby or did your sons just fall asleep on their own?

I swaddled my daughter until no matter what, she broke free-about 4 months. She also enjoys being rocked, although it's not always the only way she'll go to sleep for me. I put her to sleep in 3 different ways- nursing, a bottle, or rocking, so it's not one way all the time.

My baby has to be swaddled most of the time to get to sleep at night, but she puts her arms out when she falls asleep.

My DS is 5 months and we still swaddle him for sleep (and then I nurse him down). He was too strong for a regular blanket at about 1 month, so I sewed a Miracle Blanket knock-off out of cotton knit fabric, and it's worked like a dream. I have tried weaning him off it, but there's no end to his needing it in sight! Even with just one arm out he could only sleep 10-15 minutes at a time compared to stretches of up to 10 hours at night while swaddled. I'll try again every few weeks or so to see if he's ready to sleep without it, but I'm really not too concerned. I think he'll let me know when he doesn't need it any more.
    Mum to Silas 04-05-06
    Wife to Rob 17-02-00

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by nitu View Post
    Thank you for that info. Mine needs to be swaddled at 3.5 mth still and i was also planning on getting may be a sheet if i need to but i never thought about weaning the baby and thats a great advice on one hand and then both hands. Thanks.

Do you rock your baby or did your sons just fall asleep on their own?
    No, I don't have to rock my DS to sleep. I know people will want to throw tomatoes at me, but all three of my kids have been great sleepers. I put my 3.5 month old down when he looks sleepy, and he goes to sleep within a few minutes. He might kick his legs or chew on his fist, but he doesn't cry.

*ducking from the tomatoes*

Lucky you! Mine will scream if i just put her down and go off. She HAS to be swaddled and rocked. Sometimes if she is really sleepy she will fall asleep with me giving the bottle but its quite rare as she mainly eats while asleep!

Thats what i am afraid of. I think i will start to try and not swaddle her. As for rocking, i don't know of any alternatives right now.

You also might want to check out the book, The No Cry Sleep Solution. It also offers good information. Bottom line is you have to be willing to spend the time to teach your LO new habits. It takes a lot of time and patience. My DS (5m) needs to be rocked or bf to sleep. We tried to teach him new ways but it was hard and time consuming. He is teething now so we gave in (for now). We wear him to sleep in a front pack (he's too big for the sling) or I nurse him to sleep. Good luck!