Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething/biting

Default Teething/biting

My DD got her first tooth 3 weeks ago. She is 5 mos old. The second one is starting to come in. Here lately she has started to bite me and it HURTS. I'm not ready to give up but is there any advice on how to stop her from biting me?

Does nursing soothe them while teething? Or could it cause a nursing strike? So far I haven't really notice any of these. She gets extra fussy at night time, but that is about it. I give her the teething tablets.
    Mommy to Madison born 10/30/09

I love We

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 13...

Default Re: Teething/biting

Bumping because I'm sure lots of moms here have dealt with biting during teething!

Can anyone share what worked to help with biting?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

When LO would bite me, I would unlatch him, firmly say "No" and then wait a minute before latching him back on. You have to be consistant though, which was hard for me, because my LO would look just heartbroken and start crying. It worked though - he has 8 teeth now, is almost a year old, and it has been several months since I've been bitten.
    Happily married to the love of my life.
    First time mother to a beautiful baby
    Proud momma that practices and supports attachment parenting, and cloth diapers.

I also said no firmly and also put my son down on the floor for just a moment so he would get the idea that it was not okay to bite. I told him no it hurts mommy and then pick him back up. Also, I still pay attention to his cues. If he is done eating and still latched on sometimes he will start to bite. I now make sure once he is done to end the nursing session. If he is nursing to sleep biting isn't a problem.

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang

Thank you ladies. I've had to say "no" to her and it breaks my heart seeing her cry. I know I'm not being mean but my DD is very sensitive. So far so good.
    Mommy to Madison born 10/30/09

I love We

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 13...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kelseyann View Post
    Thank you ladies. I've had to say "no" to her and it breaks my heart seeing her cry. I know I'm not being mean but my DD is very sensitive. So far so good.
    It really is heartbreaking! Telling my LO "no" definitely can make me feel guilty - the pouty-face and the tears...
    Happily married to the love of my life.
    First time mother to a beautiful baby
    Proud momma that practices and supports attachment parenting, and cloth diapers.

I also had to say NO firmly and take her away from the breast. She did cry pathetically, but that was about 7 months ago when she only had 2 theeth. She is now 12 months and has 6 teeth but never bites. It is sad to see them cry but they need to KNOW we mean business, and they cannot bite!!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

we are just starting this too. DD1 never bit me, her two top teeth would just rub and make two little cuts on the top of my nipple. DD2, on hte other hand, has her two bottom teeth already and 4 more are coming in! I don't remember DD1 getting all these teeth so fast! I found that she will bite down when she is done or almost done nursing so i try and take her off before. i feel bad but the few times she has done it, it kinda yelled "oooww" because it hurt! and i scared her a little i'll say no biting mommy, that hurts. then see if she will nurse more or if she is done. I'm hoping to get her past this before she has bottom and top teeth

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in