Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "Rubbermaid" Containers OK for Storage?

Question "Rubbermaid" Containers OK for Storage?

I saw these guidelines for milk storage, but am seeking clarification.

Refrigerated or frozen milk may be stored in:

* hard-sided plastic or glass containers with well-fitting tops
    * freezer milk bags that are designed for storing human milk

The Question: Is a rubbermaid juice container considered hard sided plastic. Is a hard sided container recommended simply to prevent spillage or is there a health concern with using "softer sided" containers.

Some Background: I pump 24-32ozs per day and feed it to my twins the following day. It's really tough to prepare 6 bottles (think lots of dishes ). I put the milk in a rubbermaid juice container and send the kids to their caregiver with 2 bottles to use throughout the day. Is this OK? I already have to transfer the milk from 7-8 collection bottles every night because I need to re-use them for the next day's collection.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Twins+1; February 15th, 2006 at 09:31 PM.

Default Re: "Rubbermaid" Containers OK for Storage?

I would think it would be ok.. is it like a thermos?
    I just cann't figure out what kind of rubbermaid your talking about?
    as long as it's getting washed out in hot water each night..
    there is a little more info here:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug98p109.html

Andrea-
    Thank you for the helpful article. The container I use is like a 32oz pitcher that one would use to mix and store Kool Aide or concentrated orange juice. It isn't HARD plastic. The sides are a little "squeezable. I think it is fine. I had just heard from some ladies in my twins group that certain types of plastic shed. I freeze anything above what I think my boys will consume the following day.

ahh! I know what you are talking about.. I would try not and worry about it!
    when I think about soft plastic, I think about thoose things that tv dinners come in or like a margine tub.. I don't think I would store milk in one of thoose but what your are useing sounds fine to me...

The plastics that are the safest to store foods in are plastic numbers 2, 4 and 5. Polycarbonate, #1, is the worst. That's what Ameda bottles are made of! I was shocked when I found out. I still use my Purely Yours, but I bought some glass Evenflo bottles that I use in place of the plastic ones for pumping and feeding. I think the Rubbermaid pitchers are probably #2 plastic, which is the best.

If you use a large rubbermaid container to store the milk in can you add to what is already in it? I pump only a few oz at a time and I wonder if I keep adding it to the container with the other milk, how do I kno that the older milk doesn't go bad? What I mean is as new milk is added to the older and you transfer it to a bottle once a day, for example, for feeding is it still good? I am not too sure if I am being clear. Just concerned that all the milk stays fresh.

I think I just found my answer on another thread (milk storage questions).