Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: balancing bf and solids

Default balancing bf and solids

My 9 month old has been eating solids since she was 6 months. I have started feeding her solids (homemade purees, apple sauce, etc) twice a day with snacks (cereal puffs, mum mums, etc) a few times a day. I used to nurse her to sleep but we are wanting to travel some this summer and leave her with her grandparents so I quit nursing her to sleep and started reading her books and laying her down which has been working. I suddenly realized I am not nursing very much. I nurse her 2 times in the morning and 1-2 times in the afternoon so she is only nursing 3-4 times a day. She is catching on using a sippy cup for water but I am worried she is not getting enough fluid. She has probably 3 good wet diapers and her urine is not dark or smelly. She also has a bowel movement at least once a day. Do I need to add another nursing session or should I let her continue eating all the solids?

Default Re: balancing bf and solids

Since breastmilk (or formula) is supposed to make up the majority of a baby's diet until the age of 1 year, I personally would aim to add at least 1 or 2 nursing sessions per day, and would not be afraid to add 3 or more. Breastfeeding before offering solids is probably the best way to make this happen, because that way the baby won't fill up on solids and be uninterested in the breast.

Sorry if that's not quite what you want to hear! Solids are great, but for some babies they are a ticket to early weaning. And that's not something I would aim for when the baby is still under a year.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: balancing bf and solids

It is hard to balance BF and solids, as you can see Around that age I believe the typical amount of nursings a day should be 4-6, and I think they should be having at least 4 really wet diapers. You could add water in too, which I think you said you're doing, just to make sure LO is hydrated, but do make sure you're getting enough nursings in there too
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10