Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4mo... dr said to start solids...more for "fun" .

Default 4mo... dr said to start solids...more for "fun" .

I have a great DR who supports BF fully for at least a yr. but said I should start my 4 mo dd on solids now for the fun / experience of it. I picked up some rice cereal and some "stage 1" foods and am excited to see her reaction. is there any BTDT advice out there?
    first time mother to Samantha Rose 11/29/09
    and even when it gets tough...

Default Re: 4mo... dr said to start solids...more for "fun" .

I wouldn't push it. It's really best to wait till 6 months. Though in all fairness, I also started introducing a little bit here and there before 6 months.

A taste here and there typically won't hurt. But don't expect your lo to eat a whole jar. Also, if you find yourself essentially force-feeding her, she's really not ready. Take it slow, and watch for signs of stomach upset which might indicate that her system is not ready for solids, or at least for particular types of solids (for instance, my baby has a bad reaction to pears-- which is odd, since they're supposed to be one of the most hypoallergenic foods, but there you go).

There is a lot of information floating about the forums on baby-led solids (or BLS), which is also worth looking into, even if you don't intend to follow the method all that strictly.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

It sounds like your doc's advice on solids is very low pressure, and that's good. A taste of solids for fun, once a day- and I do mean a taste, like a teaspoonful or less- is probably all you need. But I personally wouldn't give any more than that until 6 months! Breastmilk is the perfect food, so why replace the perfect food with something that isn't as optimally designed to help your baby grow and develop?

This is a good link on starting solids: Is my baby ready for solid foods?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i agree with everyone else. it's not nesessary to start this early. i tried to introduce some foods to my little one when he was 5 months and he was not interested in it. he is now 7 months old and is starting to like some fruits and veggies ( mashed of course! ) but he doesn't eat a lot of it. if i get a jar of baby food he will only eat about a 1/3rd of it at a time or less. breastmilk is still the best source of nutrition and i know it's all he needs but he is getting a lot more hungrier which is why i started to introduce solids now.

awesome link i found from a LLLleader once on one of these threads
    http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...lw/engels.html
    very proud mommy to alexander
    7.5 lbs at birth and growing like crazy
    breastfed for 18 months
    .....now expecting number two! it's a surprise, due June 11, 2012
    i love my little family

If you are going to use jar food, be sure to spoon some into another container as your little one will not likely want the whole jar. Once a spoon that has touched saliva has been dipped into food, the food is NOT storable and you probably don't want to waste the jar. You might already know that, but just in case you don't...
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Hey, my DD is 4 months and 2 weeks, we have started to let her lick some apple, she sticks her tounge out and maybe licks it once and really likes it! Im not really intrested with her 'eating' anything till shes 6/7 months (she was a month early)

Take it slowly. I started at 5 1/2 months; which is when he started showing the signs that he was ready. He is now 7 months old and eats EVERYTHING I eat; hates baby food. So I make sure to smash it up and let him have at it.
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

My dd had a cold so we held off for a week before trying. we gave her some rice cereal and She LOVED it. at 4.5 months. I was surprised. we are still taking it slow. Thanks for all the good advice!
    first time mother to Samantha Rose 11/29/09
    and even when it gets tough...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*cornelia View Post
    Hey, my DD is 4 months and 2 weeks, we have started to let her lick some apple, she sticks her tounge out and maybe licks it once and really likes it! Im not really intrested with her 'eating' anything till shes 6/7 months (she was a month early)
    My dd is 4.5 months and loves to lick apples and canteloupe. It's the cutest thing ever! I probably won't start food till at least 5.5 months. I think I started too early with my son. Anyway, good luck toyou!

Readiness signs include being able to sit up unassisted, having a pincer grasp, and losing the tongue thrust reflex. There are a couple other signs, too, which are listed at the kellymom link already provided. Four months is still fairly young.

We skipped cereal and did baby-led weaning, which is letting the kiddo take the lead in solids. No spoon feeding. He started grabbing and eating my food around 6mo, but it was still just for fun for quite awhile. It's a type of exploration of shapes, textures, tastes, smells, etc.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)