Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: should I be concerned 11 mo feeding issues

Default should I be concerned 11 mo feeding issues

I am concerned that my dd is not eating or drinking enough for her age. She is 11 mos and this is her schedule:

BF upon waking
    Cereal with 1 jar fruit and 2-4 oz formula
    1 jar of veggies or fruit and maybe some formula (it is always offered)
    BF
    1 jar of veggies or fruit and maybe some forumula (again always offered)
    1 -1 1/2 jar of fruit and veggies and maybe some formula or water
    BF before bed
    BF 1 time during the night

I am mostly concerned about her fluid intake. She used to love formula (my frozen milk supply has been gone for a few months) and drinking out of her sippy but now she doesn't seem to be real thirsty or have real interest. My milk supply is dwindling due to reducing the number of BF. I just hope she is getting enough. She is never constipated and seems to have a normal amount of wet diapers.

I am also concerned because she "fights" us during meals. We have to keep her entertained and expend a great amount of energy doing so just so she'll eat. Is this a normal phase?

I mourn the days of exclusively breastfeeding because then I knew she was getting everything she needed. But, alas, I am a full time working mama...

She weighs 19lbs as of last week.

Should I be concerned?
    Last edited by AEDsMama; October 1st, 2006 at 06:26 PM.

Default Re: should I be concerned 11 mo feeding issues

If she's not constipated and has wet diapers, she sounds healthy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by darleen View Post
    If she's not constipated and has wet diapers, she sounds healthy to me.
    ITA!

Why worry? Honestly, she's still bf 4 times, so I wouldn't bother even offering fomrula in additon. She only needs to nurse 3-4 times in 24 hours to get all the fat, protien, and calcium she needs. Any fomrula/cheese/yogurt/etc that she eats or drinks in addition is just extra and unessacary.

Of course it's good to offer water at this point, but really she is making plenty of wet diapers and isn't constipated, so clearly in those 4 nursing sessions she is getting plenty of fluids and nothing else is nessacary.

Stop worrying; she won't starve herself. Just relax and follow her cues. How about letting her self-feed? Most babies refuse to be spoon fed after 9-12 mo (with ds it was 8 mo). She probably just wants to be more independant which is a good thing. You don't want to still be spoon feeding her when she's 2 yo, do you? lol Self-feeding is something that has to happen eventually. With ds, I just said, "Fine, do it yourself" when he refused to be spoon fed at 8 mo and I gave him the spoon and just let him do it himself. He did great! And he's always been super healthy and growing well. I think I'll probalby not even bother with spoon feeding at all with baby #2.
    Last edited by Feorsteorra; October 1st, 2006 at 11:11 PM.

Thank you so much! I posted the same thread on babycenter.com and most responses thought that she was low on fluids, making me freak out even more. This forum is always so supportive and laid back. I know in my heart that she is healthy just as a first time mama you hear so many things. Plus I'm a little neurotic so.... Maybe I will try to let her self feed tonight and see what happens. She feeds herself crackers and seems to enjoy it.
    Thanks again!

I wouldn't be concerned, sounds like she is doing fine!!! My DD is almost a year old and has not even started on solids or other liquids yet. Sounds like she is doing just fine, in my opinion. Keep up the good work mama!!!

My ds started getting resistent to the jarred stuff at about 9 months and I was really frustrated. Then I noticed that he seemed quite happy feeding himself, so I started giving him more stuff to feed himself. Chunks of avocado, shredded cheese, diced soft sweet potato, shredded carrots, small bits of broccoli and spinach. Once he got the hang of self feeding, he was much happier at meal time (until, of course, he hit about 16 months, when he decided that food really belongs on the floor or in your hair!).

As far as fluids go, it sounds to me that you're nursing enough to meet nutritional needs without having to continue with formula. If your ped gives you the go ahead, you could start experimenting with moo moo milk in addition to just plain water.