Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 months old

Default 10 months old

Ok, I think both of us are sick of purees. They seem to go right through him. I've been giving him banana and stuff to eat by himself, which he prefers now anyways. Can I just go the BLS way now? And what can I give him or what should I be giving a 10 month old to fill him up and give him good nutrition? Any tips and ideas would be greatly appreciated Is there any way that I can give him meat without it being pureed? He's got 2 top and 2 bottom teeth. He's really good at mashing things up with his gums.
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

Default Re: 10 months old

A good, easy to handle meat is ground beef - especially in meat ball format... We like spaghetti sauce w/meat and noodles - super messy, but we have tons of veggies in it and small bits of meat, she gets an awesome vitamin boost out of it (also whole wheat, and sometimes artichoke flour, noodles).

Hopefully someone on here will have some experience with the solids after puree, there may be some considerations due to baby having learned to eat one way already - not sure...
    "Old" first time ma (38) to Athena (May 17, 09) Oh my G-d, I'm nursing a toddler!!

Ooooh Meg i'd like info on this, too. Soo...

I like the spaghetti thing though. We also can't use the mesh feeder for anything because for some reason T refuses to eat anything from it. He'd rather have it "for real"...?

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eris View Post
    Hopefully someone on here will have some experience with the solids after puree, there may be some considerations due to baby having learned to eat one way already - not sure...
    I don't think there would be any special considerations from eating purees first...bls is basically just finger food, which "traditionally" babies who eat purees first usally move on to at about 7-10 months anyways.
    My older ds was started on purees but we started giving him finger foods when we was about 6 .5 months. Just pieces of what ever we were eating. Just cut them into managable sizes. We also offered him sometime of a puree at the same time untill he was more proficiant at self-feeding. (it doesn't take long!)

Oh and as for meat, I never pureed it for him. As long as the meat isn't super tough, they can chew it...even without teeth!
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

I started giving LO solids at 6 months, (and purees) so I think I can help on this one! My LO is 11 1/2 months right now.

Meats:
    Ground hamburger - the small chunks are very easy for baby to chew
    Chicken/Turkey/Steak/Roasts/Ham - take little strings and cut in half, or little chunks about pea sized.

Veggies:
    Anything steamed works well, carrots are a favorite around here. You can also buy little containers of cubed veggies at the store, but they usually have extra ingredients that are not ideal to be feeding baby. Not really a veggie, but mashed potatoes are also easy and fun for baby to self feed.

Fruits:
    Little chunks of apple, bananas, pears, all seem really easy for baby to chew.

Grains:
    Bread chunks, cheerios, unsalted crackers, baby teething biscuits, etc.

We just take a combination of those things, like a mini meal, that matches what we are eating. We also have a drink on hand for LO just in case he needs a sip to help things down. Good luck, and have fun with the mess!
    Happily married to the love of my life.
    First time mother to a beautiful baby
    Proud momma that practices and supports attachment parenting, and cloth diapers.

^nice!

Breastfeeding my 4 year old

Thanks ladies Things have been going well, I can't believe how he chews without teeth! He really liked mandarin oranges last night. I was thinking about getting sliced deli meet, some chicken and turkey, because I would think that would be real easy for him to eat. It's so much more fun than purees, and I don't have to do all the work
    Megan/Meg
    Married to James 1/3/09
    SAHM to Aiden Joseph 5/31/09
    PG with #2 EDD 10/3/10

Just my opinion, but pay attention to the deli meat ingredients, sometimes they have a lot of nitrates and other preservatives that aren't really good.

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang