Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just went back to work- pumping schedule

Default Just went back to work- pumping schedule

Ok so I just went back to work Monday. How does my pumping schedule sound? 5:30am- wake up baby to nurse, shower, then pump. Pump around 9 and 12 and then feed baby at 4 when I pick her up and again around 7 and 10. Then pump before I go to bed. That still leaves 4 nursing sessions and 4 pumps. She is 6 weeks old and takes 2 4 oz bottles while I'm away. I'm getting about 4-5 oz per pump (combined). Should I expect to be able to maintain my supply on this? She also eats at 2am, but last night she made it till 3:30 and wasn't all that interested in eating at 5:30. Also, when I pump I usually am down to drops by 5 min in if not earlier. Should I continue to pump at least 10 min even if I'm not getting any more and am producing enough? My baby usually eats in 5-10 min when bfing so is this normal?

Default Re: Just went back to work- pumping schedule

Hi there! It sounds like you are doing great. Let me see if I understood what you said...

You are pumping about 20 ounces a day? And she is taking 8 ounces? 8 ounces is definitely about right for her to eat while she's away from you.

How old is your baby?

It sounds like you have really great supply/oversupply if you can pump that amount out in 5 minutes and your baby usually eats only for 5 to 10 minutes. Also, you're pumping twice what you need every day, if I am understanding you correctly. I don't think you need to pump longer than 5 minutes unless you are getting to a point where you're not pumping enough.

If your baby is really young (6 weeks?) then it is possible that your supply hasn't evened out to match your baby yet. When it does, it will be harder for you to pump as much, but you don't need 20 ounces a day - you just need 8.

How many hours are you away from your baby? 1 to 1.5 ounces per hour away is the recommended amount.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    It sounds like you have really great supply/oversupply if you can pump that amount out in 5 minutes and your baby usually eats only for 5 to 10 minutes. Also, you're pumping twice what you need every day, if I am understanding you correctly. I don't think you need to pump longer than 5 minutes unless you are getting to a point where you're not pumping enough.

I would expect your supply to drop from this somewhat as you go on, so store it now while you've got it! If you do run into a problem something I might suggest is to pump first before you nurse in the early morning. Your baby will still be able to get a feed in because they are more efficient at emptying the breast than the pump and you will pump more.

Ok, I thought I would post here as I went back to work on Monday as well. My schedule is as follows: Feed at 4:30 am, pump what I have left, feed again at daycare at 6:45, then pump on morning break around 9:00 and then again at lunch around 12:00 and then pump again around 2:00. Feed her at 5:00. Today for my two pumps at work, I was only able to get 6 oz. I am afraid I am not producing enough. I send to day care what I pump and then a couple of frozen 5 oz bottles. My daughter does sleep through the night from around 10:00 - 4:30. Should I wake her up to do one feeding through the night? She will be 3 months on the 15th. I think daycare is probably giving her 4 oz. Is that too much since she is only bf? Thanks!

3 oz is probably more on target for that age, that's what I send with my 3 month old. How much are you getting from your morning pumping session? How long is baby in daycare? It's pretty common to have a harder time pumping your first week back at work, because it's all stressful and an adjustment, so you may do better. Think about having some oatmeal in the mornings to help boost your supply.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

What should I tell daycare if they think she needs more than 3 oz? She is at daycare for about 9 hours. My morning pump I only got 3/4 ounce.

Tell them she should not need more than 14 oz. at the most to be at daycare for 9 hours. Send this amount and no more, maybe have them keep one frozen bag in their freezer in case of emergency, if some milk spills, etc. This is what I do. Ask them to try other calming methods with her if you suspect they are overfeeding, and suggest ones that work for her. I might try pumping first and then feeding in the morning because the baby is more efficient at removing milk than the pump; you will be able to pump more this way and the baby will still get a feed in. Try the oatmeal as suggested by PP. Persist, and be determined! That is half the battle!